Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shag

Sheet rocking question

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have some pipes below the rafters that I'm framing a chase around with 2x4s. I'm framing it out like a tray around the edge of the room so it doesn't have that chopped up look. When I rock I need the beveled edge to join up with the other ceiling panels for a smooth ceiling joint. Any tricks for rocking around the chase? I suppose I should use corner beads around all the edges, are there other suggestions? Really not my forte', I'm a total newbie to this.

Thanks

Cant really come up with any trix so to speak, but if you want to save some spackling, maybe use J molding on the vertical piece that butts to the cieling. And instead of corner bead, use a bullnose bead. It has a round edge, and will save on your noggin if Ya bump it.

Corner bead for the outside corners, just use joint tape on the inside corners. It's easier to skim one side of an inside corner and allow it to dry before skimming the other one. A nice trick is to use the premixed joint compound (lightweight and NOT the stuff that claims to be low on dust) and add in a good amount of Plaster of Paris to each batch as you go along. I only mix enough JC that I can apply in about 15 minutes, using a paddle on my cordless drill. The stuff will dry enough in a half an hour that you can apply a second and third coat in the same day.

Corner bead for the outside corners, just use joint tape on the inside corners. It's easier to skim one side of an inside corner and allow it to dry before skimming the other one. A nice trick is to use the premixed joint compound (lightweight and NOT the stuff that claims to be low on dust) and add in a good amount of Plaster of Paris to each batch as you go along. I only mix enough JC that I can apply in about 15 minutes, using a paddle on my cordless drill. The stuff will dry enough in a half an hour that you can apply a second and third coat in the same day.

pop/jc mix

does this act like durabond? 

easier to apply/sand?

It whips up nice and once you get used to the mix you can get a great semi stiff consistency. I do a lot of repair work in higher end units around my area and getting three coats of JC on a patch in a day is essential to getting in and out of a place quickly. I always finish with a final coat (3rd coat, many times the 4th coat) of unadulterated JC to make the final sand easy. Often times I will wet sand the final mixed coat before applying the final...keeps the final sanding minimal.

Buy the dry mix in the bag. Just above the buckets in HD. it comes 90min 45min 30min  and 15 mins  just add water  works good. The tub can take a while to dry.

My plaster buddy's turned me on to it.   I make small batches and use the 15 min

i used the stuff in the bag that you have to mix with water and clean up every night only for my base coat to set the joints over the mesh tape, in corners and outside corners, screw heads, etc.  the rest i used the pre-made stuff right out of the bucket so much easier to work with and clean up.  then again im a diy hack so i had plenty of time and wasnt really in a rush to get to prime and paint cause it was in my basement.  if its your own place and you're not in a rush, id buy the bucket.  just make sure to flatten the stuff inside the bucket, put some water over it and seal the top good.  then when your done you have a free bucket!

Once you start using it its not bad. what I do like about it is that it is harder then the JC in the premix tub. The trick with joint compound is thin coats, sand less.

and less mess.