Fly Fishing Vero FL

Rate this topic

aneary

Heading down next Friday to hang out for a week in Vero Beach FL to get warm. I have access to the Intercostal via kayak or a flats boat, can also fish the beach front. Anyone familiar with the area this time of year and have suggestions on fly selection or species I should seek? I'd love to find some Redfish but previous trips have found them to be elusive and the intercostal is pretty big water, not sure what to look for to find them. Any thoughts are appreciated.     

Check out White's Tackle just down the road in Ft Pierce to get dialed into some local spots. Prang Island and the spoil islands south of Vero Causeway can be okay.

The area known as Jack Island just north of the north Ft Pierce Causeway and only a few paddle strokes from the ramp on the east side of the Causeway is beautiful kayaking water. Decent fishing too.

Not too far south is Jaycee ramp at Route A1A at north end of Hutchinson Island with access to grass flats and spoil islands and the north side of Bear Point. This time of year you'll see reds, trout, ladies, jacks and bluefish. Or launch the kayak at south side of bear Point and paddle both north and south along the shoreline, south is usually better, toward Middle Cove. Afternoons can be better to warm up the water if it's cool. Fishing can be decent even on winter days when wind is easterly because you're in the lee and protected.

You can also wade some of these areas. Drive along A1A and you'll discover several small parks with good parking, launching for kayks and wade fishing - Vitollo Family Park is one.

If wade, bring waders, it's cool.  

Good luck