Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
porkypig

Beginner fly

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Going to try my hand at fly tying. What would be a good fly or flies to start with. The type of fish would be LMB, and whatever else is biting such as pickerel,perch,bluegill,etc. thanks for any help.

I'd go with a Woolly Bugger. Tie it in Olive, Black and White to start.  Size 10 to size 4 2xl(x-tra long).  Pick up some Aberdeen style Crappie hooks.  Eagle Claw is a good brand, sharp and inexpensive.

Thanks for the suggestions. There are a lot of videos out showing how to tie these flies, but is there a site that lists all the material needed to tie them. Probably buying the materials online so I need a shopping list.

I'm not a big fan of kits but it's a good way to start off. They usually have a book, tools and materials. Orvis and Wapsi have good ones to start. Also, look on sites for books which will give you recipes and instructions. Also search out fly tying sites which will give you materials list then go to youtube and search for tying instructions for the fly you intend to tie and watch it tied by various tiers. One other suggestion is to find fly fishing shops in your area which may have classes throughout the winter. Wooly Buggers and Wooly Worms are really easy to tie. 

This is the time of year when many chapters of Trout Unlimited or the Federation of Fly Fishers have tying classes.  You will learn a lot and many of the folks that teach Fly Tying give away materials to the newbees.

This is the time of year when many chapters of Trout Unlimited or the Federation of Fly Fishers have tying classes.  You will learn a lot and many of the folks that teach Fly Tying give away materials to the newbees.

That's a good suggestion, I'm going to look for a chapter near me.

First attempt at fly tying, guess I have a ways to go. Ray's Fly, Wooly Worms, Mickey Finn and a Wooly Bugger. My hackle is probably to big but I used what I had.

post-29066-0-50373400-1455657284_thumb.jpg

Nice ties. Especially nice job keeping the head proportional. Best is, they'll all catch. Just used the Google, Orvis and Bass Pro, among others, have pages dedicated to the bugger that include a materials list like this one:

Materials List for the Olive Wooly Bugger Hook TMC Streamer Hook - Size 6, 7 or 8 Thread Olive Uni Thread, Size 8/0 Hackle Saddle Hackle Tail Olive Maribou Body Olive Chenille Rib Fine Copper Wire Weight Lead Wire

very nice job on your 1st attempt , you can possibility add the Wooly Worm to the list .

What I like to do w/ Buck tail ( finished fly ) is run them under warm water to straighten them ( just about 10 sec. ) & then lay them to dry . Also I would buy one of a pattern that might be difficult by a good tier & hold as  model . So you can see the quality what they do.