teasers that ride above the leader

Rate this topic

Hairyjig

So, ever get a lot of bumps and very few hook ups while fishing with a teaser?  I've always shrugged it off as most likely smallish fish not getting hooked.  But, now that I think about it, what if they are actually hitting the main leader as they go for the teaser and then not committing.  Most of us use Bucktail and or feathers as teasers or redguills on an unweighted hook, all of which under most circumstances "float" above the main leader which puts the leader between the fish and the teaser, considering most fish hit from below.  I was thinking a weighted teaser like a heavy clouser minnow or say a 1/8 oz bucktail would result in more hookups.  Does this make sense or am I letting winter get the best of me?

Fish Hard or GO HOME...

Big, little bucktail would work but I would rig a very large dropper loop, to be clear not a big loop, rather a lot of twists that will add rigidity to the knot and give the smaller bucktail some distance and separation from the main line

"It is an art performed on a four-count rhythm between ten and two o'clock"

go for it....let us know the results

If i'm getting repeated bumps and no hook ups, your initial conclusion is the same as mine...smaller fish

But did you try smaller adjustments while this happened, for example...different size teaser, different color teaser, longer leader, etc

If they are that close but not getting the commitment of a hook up, I always believe your presentation to what they want is awful close.

Not sure where you're fishing but on occasion we get lots of phantom bumps while casting in RI, sometimes while not even using teasers.  Years ago I was getting a load of phantom bumps while fishing in late May.  I realized after a while that something was actually striking the black barrel swivel of my leader.  I attached a small hook via split ring to the barrel and started catching small harbor pollock on every cast.