Rio outbound #10 coilling problem

Rate this topic

dcote

Hi,

Of the 3 different rio lines i have only this one keep having coils in the running lines.

post-56996-0-71076000-1453340157_thumb.jpeg

I did try to strech it using a piece of rubber and the result was perfect.

post-56996-0-42535200-1453340414_thumb.jpeg

After i put back the Line on the reel, the coils came back....

Did you have similar experience ?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dc

Dc

Coiling has been a problem since modern fly lines came into use. I've been fishing for many,many years and have never heard of any kind of method to permanently remove coils (if anyone knows how please chime in).

But there are a number of ways to remove, or at least reduce the severity of the problem. I remember Lefty Krey telling his audience at one of the shows that he stretches his lines just before fishing by stepping on his line and pulling up. He keeps doing that until the entire line has been stretched. I do some thing similar by pulling about three feet of line out and stretching it out between my two hands until the entire line is stretched. If your lucky enough to fish with a partner you can stretch the line between you. Some times I find I have to restrech the line after a couple of hours of fishing.

Hope this is of some help.

Dan

Let me guess the Rio Outbound that your having problems with was made last year just before the came out with the new braided outbound running line? I bought a new outbound myself at that time for my son to use when he came up to fish with me. I took it out and gave it a good stretch and it was fine went out early the next morning to give it a try and it was like I had never stretch it. Ended up having to stretch it again that morning before I could even fish. I ended up letting my son use the old outbound that I had bought the year before and it was fine, and I fought with the new line for the three days he fished with me. I don't know what Rio did wrong but that run of outbound really sucked, I have a friend that had his running line break on him one morning when he was just pulling it off his reel to start fishing. So yes I'm having problems with Rio Outbound running line but mine is a 8 weight.

if the Rio OB has a problem being related to manufacture design or particular factory  , How would one know what year it was made & location ? Looking @ another Rio line there is no indication on the box ?  

stretching a line before each use was a 101 on my 1st casting lesson 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

Many Guys report issues with RIO running lines. Some lines must not be stretched. Airflow have lines like this. They do tell you on the box if you can't stretch them.

All lines after a while will coil due to fishing them but some are just way worse than others.

Some line makers have also had an issue recently with running lies cracking after a short period of time.

And all for only around $85 a pop.

Mike

I don't know how old the line is but I am curious if you are fishing in some cold weather at the present time. Some lines just do not seem to do well in the cold weather. I think Rio is one of them from my past experiences.  I had the problem with Rio when the running line was the translucent color. The last one I got was opaque and more supple but did not cast as well as the older lines.

I think that is what I like about Air-Flo lines, never any issues.

I always stretch my lines before I start fishing. I usually will walk to the waters edge and pull line off the reel and stretch it by hooking under my knee and pulling up about 3 feet in each side. It doesn't take long to do 60 or 70 feet and while I do that it gives me a chance to look for some breaking fish.

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

Thanks all for the feedback.

More specifically...

Let me guess the Rio Outbound that your having problems with was made last year just before the came out with the new braided outbound running line?

gave it a good stretch and it was fine went out early the next morning to give it a try and it was like I had never stretch it. Ended up having to stretch it again that morning before I could even fish. 

I bought mine this fall, but difficult to say if it is the new version or not.  One thing sure, what's your describing is exactly what i have...

stretching a line before each use was a 101 on my 1st casting lesson 

Before this line, I NEVER had to stretch my lines.  Maybe some old ones could have been rejuvenated by the process... but I did not think of giving a try.  For new line (1-2 years), never....

I don't know how old the line is but I am curious if you are fishing in some cold weather at the present time. Some lines just do not seem to do well in the cold weather. 

I was suspecting this could be the case and to clear it out, I stretch the line, put it back in the reel and unroll it later (don't remember it is was the same day of not) IN MY BASEMENT, and the coils reappeared... I ruled out the cold for this reason.

I do some thing similar by pulling about three feet of line out and stretching it out between my two hands until the entire line is stretched. 

That's what I did, but using a piece of rubber in my hand to squeeze the line  (make it becoming warmer in the process) and it ends up completely un-coiled until...

send it back to RIO with a note--they would like to see it and should replace it.   

Wil make contact for sure, thanks for suggesting, I would probably not make an attempt....

Thanks again,

dc

Dcote, the newest outbound is described as inTouch so if you bought in in the fall and the box does not say "inTouch" then you have the same running line that I'm having the problem with.

No mention "inTouch"... so same line... Thanks Bagman.

Meanwhile, I went to RIO's site and found this:

"First of all, all fly lines are coiled at final manufacture to fit onto the packaging spool. This process does not add twist to the fly line, however, the line should be removed from the spool in the reverse direction. If the spool is taken apart, and the line is removed a coil at a time, this will add twist. An attempt to take out this twist by stretching the line, will result in only a temporarily straightened line. The 'energy' is still there, and is stored in the line. It will 'remember' this, and eventually try to coil back up. A salt water fly line with a braided monofilament core and harder plastisol will compound this more than a softer fresh water fly line with a nylon multifilament core."

The problem is I don't remember "well" what was the initial state of the line.  It this "stored" energy (figure of speach of course)...

I will give another try at un-coiling the line... I did several passes... If in does not cure the problem, will try to untwist using another method...

It is true that at some times, I had to untwist the line but haven't have to do it lately.... It is because I do all my casting in very cold temp. (-10, -20 C) and the twist is transferred to the line and cause the coil?...  really don't know.  

Finally, may be Hook1/BFD note regarding the need to always stretch a line (or un-twist it) is the way to go...

Let's say it has "moderate" my enthusiasm toward RIO's products and, when I will have to decide between 2 "similar" line, I will go with the non-RIO...

dc

when I take the line off the spool, I do it like it was a conventional reel. I put a pencil into the spool and have someone hole it.  Are you saying that is the correct way?   Or should I be doing it another way.

I have taken off about 25' and looked at the coils and it is all twisted up  I reverse the coils until it is pretty straight. Reel it back on and cast out the head. If it twists again I check it again.  That gets a lot of unwanted coils out .  

I really really dislike the Rio ob short line. Yeah it shot line pretty far but also had the most unique tangles I've ever seen in a line. Bird nests, wrapping around the guides or any other part of the rod. It happened almost every other cast. Strange as airflos similar version, 40+ series, I didn't have those problems.