Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barnacle

Tube and worm conventional trolling rod

11 posts in this topic

Hi fellow kayak fishermen. I'm looking for recommendations for a good conventional casting rod to use for trolling a tube and worm rig from my kayak. All suggestions, pros and cons, etc. - manufacturer, length, line rating, action would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Bill

If your comfortable I would suggest to wrap your own. It's easy to do and the rodbuilding forum on sol can help you. We can also give you suggestions on blanks to buy.  Be a good project for the rest of the winter. The pro's of custom rod building are all lengths are customized. No need to trim rod butts etc. Quality guides and grips. The downs, if it breaks, you may or may not get a new blank, but you need to build it all over again. Out of wrapping about 50 rods now, I've only broke one and that was from a surf launch gone bad.

Off the shelf, a budget rod would definitely would be the ugly stik tiger lite. Cost about 60 bucks or  less. Fuji guides and reel seat....pretty much an indestructible blank that is warrantied.  MODEL # BWCL220069  is a good choice. Not too much rod to make a medium size bass over powering and still have some sack to turn a larger bass. You may or may not have to trim the butt handle an inch or so, depends what you are comfortable with. Sawing off with a hack saw blade and buying a cane cap from true value to put over it with a dab of epoxy works.

St. Croix makes a nice musky rod with quality components and a nice warranty. PM70MHF is the one I would suggest. I have this blank for throwing plastics and will occasional tube with it. Cost 180 bucks for the production rod and you may see it on sale occasionally 20-30 bucks off.

Hi fellow kayak fishermen. I'm looking for recommendations for a good conventional casting rod to use for trolling a tube and worm rig from my kayak. All suggestions, pros and cons, etc. - manufacturer, length, line rating, action would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Bill

What's your price range?

Ugly stick tiger lite medium heavy casting rod. 7 foot should be fine. You can use  a penn conventional reel with lead core line. Maybe a nice

40lb leader. And of course Kayak Karl's trolling tubes.  :)

Thanks for your replies.  I really do not have a budget in mind.  That being said, I don't want to spend for the premier, top priced rod.  I am looking for performance and value.  Also, while custom might be the best way to suit my needs, I am looking to get something that is "off the shelf".  I do prefer a rod with the trigger handle and longer butt section.  I have a lighter, fluking rod and I find that, especially in my kayak where my movement is somewhat limited, the longer butt section helps me to put more leverage on a fish when I need to.

Reel = Shimano Tekota Saltwater Casting Reel, TEK600

Rod = St. Croix Musky Rod 7'

Line = 30lb PowerPro Slick

Leader = 40lb Fluorocarbon 3' 

My yak trolling rig is 6'6" Tsunami MH with Abu Garcia 6500 C3, spooled with 50# PowerPro Super Slick 8 Hi-Vis Yellow, 50# mono leader.  I also use this rig for pulling tog out of rocks with 80# flouro leader.

I use either and Avet SX or Abu 6501 C3 to troll my T&W on a BPS Graphite musky rod

I'm right-handed, but only use left-handed reels, that's another thread some day. But, I will troll with 2-3 rods, so when I hook-up and reeling in the non-fish rods, it is nice to have reels that have line-feed. For the most that is the only time for me. My thoughts.

I use rods with a parabolic action . It absorbs the shock of a striper going one way and you paddling the other. Tube and worm strikes

can be violent. They keep the fish hooked longer , so you can grab the rod too.

My yak trolling rig is 6'6" Tsunami MH with Abu Garcia 6500 C3, spooled with 50# PowerPro Super Slick 8 Hi-Vis Yellow, 50# mono leader.  I also use this rig for pulling tog out of rocks with 80# flouro leader.

IMO Your strength of your main line and leader is too high, I would suggest spooled with 30# and 30-40# fluorocarbon line for leader, this combo is plenty strong, IMO you lose some of the action with the heavier weight lines especially the leader line. I don't know a bluefish especially a striper that would require 50/50 combo of line. IMO RJ

I think your rod/reel combo is fine. I myself never go above 15# PowerPro Super Slick 8 Hi-Vis Yellow or blue with three feet 30# fluorocarbon and have never lost a blue or striper in many years due to the line on the yak, now on a boat mostly headboat I use 10# PowerPro Super Slick 8 Hi-Vis Yellow or blue with three feet 40# fluorocarbon, this give me the distance to get away from non-fishermen. Capt. Rob was nervous at first, till I let him use my setup. I have even convinced him that Gulp is better than spearing this year.

"One thing I have noticed the past few years is that the Berkley Gulp baits are working very well for the Fluke, especially the larger sized ones. As an old school fishermen it took me a few years to be a believer, but now I am. Due to this I started using them myself, and selling them on the boat for people who also wanted to use them." Capt.. Rob on the Sea Hunter at Atlantic Highlands last fishing report last year.

This is all based on my experience and in my opinion!

Edited by mccandrj