Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bill dietz

TFO ticr x vs Scott Tidal 10wt Tarpon rod

32 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 10wt rod to fish for mid size tarpon and small sharks when I go to SW Florida next month. I'll be fishing generally backwaters and gulf beaches from Ft Myers down to Naples and the 10k area.

Last year I fished with 8 wt rods mostly from my kayak and caught a variety of species including some juvi tarpon. This year I want to up my game and try for some larger fish and I want to get my first 10 wt rod. Based upon posts on this web site and other fishing web sites I was seriously considering buying a TFO ticr-x 10 weight. However a visit to the local shop in the northeast suggested that I consider the Scott Tidal 10 wt. Anyone have any experience or comments on either or both of these rods. Since at least half of my fishing will be out of a kayak I don't really need to throw 90',  and since releasing fish is a challenge I need a full flex rod with plenty of backbone and full flex. Rod weight should not be a big issue since I don't expect to do a lot of blind casting until I sight or locate fish.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

I have no experience with the Scott Tidal but I can say the TiCrX series of rods have serious backbone in them.  They have significant lifting power (I've tested them extensively in my workshop and in the field on big fish) and I think they would do a good job for you in a kayak as long as you like the way they cast - they are heavy so that is a minus.

The TFO Mangrove is another good TFO you might want to look at. I've used one for tarpon 15 to 50 pounds, and in the surf for snook, jacks and such.  We all have different opinions about what makes a sweet rod, but I found the mangrove to be very easy casting, with plenty of pulling power and not at all tiring to fish when casting repeatedly. Just a tad less fast taper than the TiCrx, and very enjoyable.

You might want to check out the Orvis Recon 10wt great rod. I was recently down fishing the glades and Biscayne bay. Caught two mid size tarpon the rod handled them great.

I had a tidal and sold it. I still have have my ticr. They are different in how they feel the Scott will feel soft compared to the ticr. I would look into a g loomis shortstick or sage bass or TFO mini mag. I use short rods in my kayak I find it much easier to tie flies on and fight fish. I've hooked big tarpon on my sage bass Rod with no problem and it will also cast a huge fly if you are fishing for certain species that like big flies.

Short rods are easier from kayak! TFO MiniMag and Loomis ShortStik are heavy but should be strong and durable too. Orvis Recom 7'11'' would be my choice because it is light and I believe strong enough. Or heavier Sage Bass which might/should already be discounted. If you still can find Ross Flystik 7'11'' 10wt would be very good buy around $150.

Esa

I never fished a Scott Tidal but did fish a TFO TICRX for several years and can tell you it is one powerful rod.  Actually can us a bit of overlining to get the best out of it.  My only gripe is that it was a bit heavy and tiresome to cast for any amount of time otherwise an excellent buy.

You might want to check out the Orvis Recon 10wt great rod. I was recently down fishing the glades and Biscayne bay. Caught two mid size tarpon the rod handled them great.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one these myself. Would you say the rods rating is accurate ie. 10wt lines work fine or did you have to overline?

I'm about to pull the trigger on one these myself. Would you say the rods rating is accurate ie. 10wt lines work fine or did you have to overline?

I cast one a lot at local Orvis store and can tell you that it is a very accurate and easy casting rod.  Not quite as fast as an H2 but a quality rod and made in the USA.

I never fished a Scott Tidal but did fish a TFO TICRX for several years and can tell you it is one powerful rod.  Actually can us a bit of overlining to get the best out of it.  My only gripe is that it was a bit heavy and tiresome to cast for any amount of time otherwise an excellent buy.

Spigs

Your only gripe is a big one. Those are not nice attributes in a rod.

Oly

Think about the just retired version of the Hardy Proaxis - they can be had for a nice deal...a high end performing rod for not a lot more than the price you're looking to spend

I would say it is rated pretty accurately. I've been using the Hydros cold water intermediate, and the Rio Avid floating line around the Cape and Vineyard all seems good to me.

Think about the just retired version of the Hardy Proaxis - they can be had for a nice deal...a high end performing rod for not a lot more than the price you're looking to spend

I'm going Monday for spinners out of Juno hopefully there are a few around. I think on backcountry they have them very reasonable.