Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
will_fish_4_food

chum bucket?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Wanted to ask the old salts around here if this idea to use the remains of our catch for chumming makes any sense. Most days we anchor up near a certain rock pile at the mouth of the Patuxent river on the Chesapeake, cast lures, and maybe drop a few spot down on livelines. After a few hours we usually come home with maybe 20 blues and a few stripers, filet em up, and throw the bloody carcasses off the pier. I like minimizing waste and trying new things so was wondering if these remains are worthwhile for chumming?

I dont know if this makes any sense at all (I've only been chumming ages ago on a party boat when i was a kid), but figured we could get an old hand meat grinder, mash em up and freeze the slop in a 5 gallon bucket. Then next time we go out, just drop the bucket attached to a line over the side with a lid drilled full of big holes so the juices and bits will come out as it melts.  If it works this also seems like a less messy way to chum, since we won't have to deal with any fish gore (it will all be in the bucket and in the water).

Waste of time? Good idea to draw some big stripers to our livelines? 

If there's current oily chum will draw bass and blues. Without current, it just sinks straight down :o

Not sure chopped up bass remains are gonna be much help, not very oily - but bluefish should work :)

TimS

I use to save my bluefish carcass and grind it up, add a little fish oil and freeze in small cake pans. Never had a chance to try it in the salt but the catfish on the river loved it.