Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

Winter Fly Tying

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I always start my tying for the upcoming season after all the holiday turmoil of shopping, wrapping and traveling is finally done and things have settled down.  

The first order of business is always cleaning all the equipment and performing any maintenance and getting all the terminal accessories in order which includes making leaders and replacing things that have served me well but no longer function in addition to sending any reels in for repair if needed etc.

This would be a prime example. of out with the old in with the new..

post-26978-0-49270100-1453321137_thumb.jpg

post-26978-0-13757400-1453321192.jpg

Once the terminal gear is all set it then becomes at that point just a matter of deciding what flies I need and to get get busy. Last year because of changes in my whole fishing agenda the need to tie Striper flies first is now at this point not even needed. I suspect I will do some just because I will get bored. 

The first order of business was to get my "Sanibel Stuff" done after deciding what I wanted to make for the season in Florida. This is what I finally got accomplished and now I feel I am ready to go.

The first thing needed was the box

post-26978-0-03972500-1453322917.jpg 

The next thing was the flies and this was the first set to go into the box, my Tarpon flies for Ding Darling.

post-26978-0-47897600-1453321667_thumb.jpg

The balance of the flies would be the beach flies and it did not take very long to fill the box. The first flies went in the box on January 12th and the last set went in the 20th. I think there in about 8 dozen flies, so a dozen a day and now  looking at it, it did not seem that it was all that hard to do now that it is done. So I think to start the season I am in good shape.. 

I have found that it is always hard to just get started tying but once I get going I don't usually do more than 6 to 12 a day but by the start of the season, if I stick to this process I am usually in good shape. I would bet if a person just tied 3 flies a day they would be amazed with what they would have before the season rolled around.

post-26978-0-63032800-1453322366_thumb.jpg

I think bought this box at the Marlboro show 2 years ago and it cost $15. I will definitely be on the prowl for something similar this year.

That looks like a great box! I'll have to keep an eye out for one at the Somerset Show...  the box i have now holds about 20. Great article by the way!

- Collin

I have seen this fly box or similar box at Feather-craft.  I believe for about the same price.   This is where I get my equipment because I don't have any local fly shops.

I have seen this fly box or similar box at Feather-craft.  I believe for about the same price.   This is where I get my equipment because I don't have any local fly shops.

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out! :)

ccb, I always tell Norm "'Imitation Is The Sincerest Form of Flattery " and the fact that they work doesn't hurt either.

nice work BFD, production tying as I like to call it. I love the cork handle on that LL bean reel case. good stuff.I'm the same way with getting motivated to start tying, half the time I just sit at my desk and stare, debating what to tie and thumbing through various books for inspiration. Sometimes it takes me an hour to finally place a hook in the vice and get started, but once I do, I always wonder took me so long haha. I haven't been tying much saltwater stuff yet. I picked up some freshwater streamer books, Rich Strolis' new book and Strip-Set by George Daniel. I highly recommend both. Tons of good info. Strolis' book is more fly tying steps and Daniel's is more technique, but there is a ton of patterns listed. So I've been into tying articulated streamers for trout and pike, which I plan on targeting after ice-out, before the stripers show up. here are some pics. I actually picked up the box from nedakjohn from the BST and bought some replacement foam from bearsden to make the box

post-38958-0-08398500-1453419575_thumb.jpgpost-38958-0-08904800-1453419595_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wicked-Fly

I've seen a lot of this type of box and have to ask - do you guys actually carry these when you are on the beach? I ask because they seem too big for many packs. I'm at the other extreme, I have my pack stuffed with way too many small boxes but I'll often bag the pack entirely and just take what I can fit in my chest pockets. 

Stormy I don't carry these boxes with me, I have two of them and they both serve as Master Boxes that I fill during the winter, the first is 14 x 18 inches and is my Striper box and the other yellow one in 8 x 10. I generally just carry them in the car and supplement my smaller boxes in my sling pack.  What I do is I carry a couple of small boxes with about 3 of each pattern and one empty foam box. The empty box is for holding the used flies that get cleaned after I get home, that way I never use another new fly until until the fly in the used box is trashed and has to be replaced.

I actually did try an experiment the other day because I have a number of bags I can use and one is the old Magnum Sling Pack from Orvis and the 8 x 10 box actually does fit in that. The Master Boxes however just stay in the car.

This is my 14 x 18 Master ( older file picture)

post-26978-0-88909500-1453552565_thumb.jpg

Ah OK I get it thanks BFD! I'm doing a lot of looking into carrying stuff this winter. Due to multiple shoulder and clavicle dislocations the backpack I use is hurting me after an hour or so, thus trying to get as minimalist as I can. Maybe I'll grab one of these and transfer to a couple small boxes in a fanny pack for next year. I made a master box out of a long school supply box I got at Staples and it worked but I like the idea of having a handle. Wish I had a reason to call it Sanibel Stuff though, makes me jealous!

A work of caution, a fanny pack and a stripping just don't mix, the fanny pack is around you waste and so is the basket, hard to put the basket on with a fanny pack in the way. I would suggest some sort of sling pack. I still think the original sling pack by Orvis was the best on the Market hands down. You can't find them now. I don't know what the new one is like, I have not looked at it but they added a water bottle holder and I don't know if they added that at the expense of storage space, if they did that is a dumb trade off. I will be checking them out soon because mine is starting to show it's age. If I can't find one then I would go back to the Fish Pond Blue River Chest Pack. I just use this with the shoulder strap and simiply just slide it behind me like a sling pack. Very light and holds a ton and very well organized inside. 

BFD   You said the Fish blue river chest pack. I liked it up and Cabela's has the west water on Clearance was 79 down to $29 You may want to take a look at it?

BFD, great ties! I will be in Pine Island for the first 2 weeks of May and I am copying some of your flies like the Betsy. Thanks for showing them!  When looking at the flies in your fly boxes, I notice that most are the close to the same length.  Up here on Long Island, length is a particular that I pay close attention to.  Is the fact that you hit Sanibel at a particular time of year and have observed the baitfish at that time determined the length of your flies?