Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Africaster

2016 Salem Shootout

24 posts in this topic

Site re-reservations are open, first time reservations will open from 22 Feb. it's a worthy trip to a really pretty area.

Thanx, I'm waxing the snow plow tonight, not thinking about heading North, came up quick! I guess I can rebook the two sites we had , then if one of those sites by the ramp and beach open up, switch, I'll check with Frogman, thanks again for reminder.

We had a great time there and I caught my best ever Striper there, picture is of me heading out from ramp at Winter Island in morning, have a framed copy hanging in living room now!......Jack

PS That's right it's in the living room, not the garage , basement or gun room where all my other stuff hangs!

p8160050_1.jpg

post-26017-0-40896800-1453330742_thumb.jpg

Looked at the NEFF website. The don't mention rules re: tackle. ( at least I didn't see any ) Are there different categories?

What are the facilities like ie: camping

HT

Looked at the NEFF website. The don't mention rules re: tackle. ( at least I didn't see any ) Are there different categories?

HT

Brad (Africaster) will keep us informed. He's on top of it like a prom date!  :witty:

HT

Hey HT, the majority stay on the Island either tenting or RV'ing ... but ... sites are reserved for the participants from the previous year where they have a month to accept and pay, thereafter (2/22), they are offered to the waiting list in order, so get on the waiting list ASAP if you're interested (you can still decline at the time) - I'd offer to join me but I've got 2 sons joining this year.

There are the normal categories, 24/7, no area restrictions, snap and release ... the winners seem to fish elsewhere and come in for prize giving - ie, they don't launch from the tournament's base being Winter Island.

You can still launch from the Island even if you're not staying there, so in the worst case scenario use something like AirBnB and find somewhere close.

I assume you're going to throw flies, but if not, I recommend ordering bloodworms way in advance, shoot me a pm if you need some details.

HT

Camp ground for most part grass and dirt field with some rocks and boulders

Some mosquitos or tiny biting flying bugs around

Raccoon in the evenings

Trash cans well distributed

Hot shower iirc 3 or 2 stalls for each gender

"Convenience store" for some real basics and ice while they last.

Chilly at nights

Need beach wheels if launching on the beach

Fire pit ok BBQ ok

Camp ground for most part grass and dirt field with some rocks and boulders

Some mosquitos or tiny biting flying bugs around

Raccoon in the evenings

Trash cans well distributed

Hot shower iirc 3 or 2 stalls for each gender

"Convenience store" for some real basics and ice while they last.

Chilly at nights

Need beach wheels if launching on the beach

Fire pit ok BBQ ok

"Hot shower iirc 3 or 2 stalls for each gender" interests me!

do they still spot burn the heck out of the area on NEKF?

I haven't been there in quite a long time

Hey HT, the majority stay on the Island either tenting or RV'ing ... but ... sites are reserved for the participants from the previous year where they have a month to accept and pay, thereafter (2/22), they are offered to the waiting list in order, so get on the waiting list ASAP if you're interested (you can still decline at the time) - I'd offer to join me but I've got 2 sons joining this year.

There are the normal categories, 24/7, no area restrictions, snap and release ... the winners seem to fish elsewhere and come in for prize giving - ie, they don't launch from the tournament's base being Winter Island.

You can still launch from the Island even if you're not staying there, so in the worst case scenario use something like AirBnB and find somewhere close.

I assume you're going to throw flies, but if not, I recommend ordering bloodworms way in advance, shoot me a pm if you need some details.

Thanks Brad and all for your replies. Yes I'd throw flies :) don't own any spin gear. This sounds like a fun event and I live less than an hour away so travel isn't an issue. Haven't used my tents since Boy Scouts with my son years ago so I have gear. I'll keep an eye on these sites.

Thx HT

do they still spot burn the heck out of the area on NEKF?

I haven't been there in quite a long time

By "area" do you mean New England?

Posted (edited)

I was one of the local "founding" members & disagreed on their fishing reports policy.  

Don't get me wrong. It is a great site with many members that go out of their way to help others & teach the new folks how to stay safe. myself included.

I have hosted out of state folks for the first few events & would fish with them on my bit of water. 

I just dropped out when the local burning became too much for me so I was just wondering.

I hope you have a wonderful time & apologize for this bit of sludge in your thread.

If an admin would clear my comments I'd appreciate it.

Best of Luck

Edited by seadogface