Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mbtileguy

Teasers

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Is there lure and conditions where using a teaser is not productive or just wrong to use? I have had success with using them with plastic swimmers metal bucktails and rubber shads

With a lot of bluefish around, you risk losing your whole rig with a teaser in play. Otherwise, I use them all the time unless I really need that extra 15 feet of casting distance. I'm a big fan of Red Gills. I don't know how they do it, but even in rough surf at night, they find that little 4-inch piece of plastic and crush it.

I would say no . The fish thinks your lure is chasing bait and gets greedy . As said above if blues are around take it off . I had a striper on the plug and a blue came by and crushed the teaser and leader . That would have been a ineresting dance to watch if you were scuba diving 

With a lot of bluefish around, you risk losing your whole rig with a teaser in play. Otherwise, I use them all the time unless I really need that extra 15 feet of casting distance. I'm a big fan of Red Gills. I don't know how they do it, but even in rough surf at night, they find that little 4-inch piece of plastic and crush it.

Thanks for pointing out the Red Gills. I have never heard of them, but checked them out and think I will give them a try. Which one do you typically use?

I'll still use them with blues around, just tied direct to my barrel swivel instead of a dropper loop.

I've had nights in the bay this year where the bass only wanted a pink teaser.

If connecting them with a dropper loop how far down he leader do u make the loop if you were using a 3 to 4 ft leader?

I have been keeping the loop 1.5' above the plug

No dropper loop for teasers.. Tie direct to barrel swivel much more reliable connection. I find myself useing teasers less and less, but they can be deadly. This fall if you didn't have one at one point your weren't getting bit.

I agree with Wolfdog tie direct to the barrel, I very often use a teaser. Some reasons NOT to use one are...

1. If there are bluefish around

2. Sticky bottom ( ie. Montauk )

3. Blitzes ( double headers can be dangerous )

4. Need distance ( teasers reduce casting distance, I believe by a lot depending upon plug )

5. The presence of big bait ( never consider sand eels is not big bait no matter how big )

I also think teaser color is almost more important than plug color!

JMHO,

G~

"If" your using barrels then sure. I have never used a barell simply because there are plenty of solid knots out there that hold just fine without it. In which case you need a dropper.

There is never really a wrong time to fish a teaser unless you need the added distance. 1 particular inlet I fish is always packed with shiners through the season and teasers are key. You can almost always count on some sort of small bait being at your feet within rock piles.

If I'm jigging the teaser will be set about 18in up. If fish are hitting plastic swimmers like redfins or bombers I will sometimes re tie so that the dropper is 14in or so from the plug.

Thanks for pointing out the Red Gills. I have never heard of them, but checked them out and think I will give them a try. Which one do you typically use?

The 4-inch Rascal, rigged on a 3/0 Mustad 34007. There's more info on this forum about rigging - use search feature - but here's a good article from one of the gurus: http://blog.saltwateredge.com/2014/08/20/tackle-tactics-how-to-fish-a-red-gill-teaser-by-dennis-zambrotta/

Sometimes, it's all a plug guy can do to match the hatch:

PA150015%252520%2525282%252529.JPG