Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

Sanibel Storm Damage

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

One of the things I like about Sanibel is they do keep everyone informed about any issue on the Island as they occur and they send out updates as things change. There were some recent storms and Tornadoes that recently hit in the area causing lots of beach erosion and roads being flooded and washed out.

These are some of the pictures before and after pictures that were sent out by the town managers office and I think the thing that impressed me more than anything was how fast they were able to respond and resolve the damage. 

These pictures are Blind Pass from the Captiva Turner Beach Parking Lot

post-26978-0-36876600-1453316878.jpg

post-26978-0-69020300-1453316909.jpg

post-26978-0-22028000-1453316974.jpg

post-26978-0-43268900-1453317008.jpg

These picture are the Blind Pass Parking lot on the Sanibel Side 

post-26978-0-68985200-1453317224.jpg

post-26978-0-07606100-1453317245.jpg

These are shots from the Lighthouse Beach area with some before and after shots of the high water on the beach and into the parking lots and the access roads

post-26978-0-79839000-1453317470.jpg

post-26978-0-76824200-1453317501.jpg

post-26978-0-62882700-1453317560.jpg

post-26978-0-23569200-1453317586.jpg

post-26978-0-80523600-1453318346.jpg

post-26978-0-80012600-1453317950.jpg

post-26978-0-42992400-1453318078.jpg

post-26978-0-49601500-1453318133.jpg

They had a tornado the other day, a couple of people died. One wiped right across Siesta key on the northern end of the Island. They had pictures of some of the damage . Blew the roof right off one.  hit a trailer park too.  2 am in the morning.  It's funny over here to get a permit it takes years.  Down there they move sand like it was nothing.  They know thats what  brings in the tourist.  Those pictures must be from the same day.  Winds over a 100 mph.  Hope there finished with the storms.  I'll be there next Sat. 

Dick

I have spent the last 4 winters in Florida and have watched State road projects under construction. Last winter I watched over 5 miles of a dividedroad being repaved both sides in under 2 weeks time. I was in complete awe at how quickly work in Florida gets done. In good ole Massachusetts thissame project probably would have taken 3 times as long, and cost 3 times as much.

Glad you had no damage to your condo as I thought about it at the time.

They had a tornado the other day, a couple of people died. One wiped right across Siesta key on the northern end of the Island. They had pictures of some of the damage . Blew the roof right off one.  hit a trailer park too.  2 am in the morning.  It's funny over here to get a permit it takes years.  Down there they move sand like it was nothing.  They know thats what  brings in the tourist.  Those pictures must be from the same day.  Winds over a 100 mph.  Hope there finished with the storms.  I'll be there next Sat. 

Yeah. my mom mentioned that - there were two tornadoes right in Sarasota, plus one a bit north (which is the one where the two victims were). Her condo complex was spared...but she's mentioned that one of them crossed over Beneva Blvd, which is right near her place (although it's a long road, she's near the end where Sarasota Sq Mall is...not sure where the twister crossed)

Went right over Midnight Pass Rd on the northern end, near the Higel Ave Bridge.  The other bridge is the Stickney Point bridge, where CB's tackle is.  Then it went        across over to Phillippi Creek. and across Beneva

Mike up here that kind of a repair project is called long term job security.  :naughty:

Mike up here that kind of a repair project is called long term job security.  :naughty:

Isn't that the truth

I spent the past 10 days in Port Charlotte at my parents' place and saw some of the local damage. A few nights ago it was like a hurricane. We went to Englewood the next day and the surf was unbelievable, breaking up to the beach grass. Went to Bokeelia for some peel and eat shrimp and the restaurant workers said the water was right up to the steps. I'd be so nervous during hurricane season if I was a property or business owner on some of these low areas on the water.  

wife and I were looking at spending 3-4 days in Captiva, which isn't too far from Sanibel I believe. Hopefully they were able to repair any damage down there as well. No wonder the flights and hotels were so cheap, must be storm season down there.

wife and I were looking at spending 3-4 days in Captiva, which isn't too far from Sanibel I believe. Hopefully they were able to repair any damage down there as well. No wonder the flights and hotels were so cheap, must be storm season down there.

Blind Pass separates Captiva from Sanibel. I don't know how widespread the damage was...but its towards the Blind Pass end, you could be close to it

The damage has already been repaired just as the pictures show  I also got an e-mail from one of my friends on the island confirming the repairs.

Most off the damage was just high water and beach erosion and some road damage  The one thing about Sanibel is because it is such a big vacation area this time of the year , they don't mess around and get things done incredibly fast.

The reason for the low rates and airfares have have nothing to do with storm damage, I think January is typically cool and many will just wait until February to get away from the cold  Feb and March are the two big months for Sanibel.

Last year the Storms backed up all the flights, I was lucky to get out of here. I was the last two seats on the plane.  The next 4 or 5 days there were no seats. It was like every other day there was a storm.  

Just got back from Fla, Boca Grande/Placida . (Tuesday) Crazy weather, Heavy seas, wind and thunderstorms.  Not a fish trip, but I did bring the gear. Not a chance to fish. Extreme winds and cold. Afternoons were Ok but mornings and evenings were tough.

A pic i saw of Blind Pass prior to the storm looked like the

sandbar from the Captiva side was threatening to close off

the pass again. Anyone with any recent pics? Thanks

I just arrived in nearby Bonita Springs for a few days at my mother-in-law's. There are some big largemouths in some of the golf course ponds near her place, but any saltwater advice would be welcome.