Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChasingTales

Donnmar pliers

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Iam thinking of buying the 880 side cutters. I wish some one around me had them. I don't like when closed the handle feels wide. The 7 inch accurate have the feel I like but want a solid jaw

I would try and check them out if you can before you buy, esp if buying online. Looked at a ti pair a few months back and when it hit the cutter there was still a small gap. Another pair had a more significant gap. Salesman told me that it was there to allow more pressure on the cutters before the teeth prevented the pressure to cut thin braids. I have an pair from 15 years ago and old checkpoints with no gap

Yeah alot of pliers are doing that now to cut braid better but I still like no gap on the jaws

I with you on that one. While I want and expect my line cutters to last on high end pliers, it does nothing for me if I can't securely grip thin wire hooks for removal. Have been looking to get a ti pair myself but the dehooker and braid snips are working good enough for it not to be a priority.

If you are surf fishing make sure the pliers are on a lanyard to your surf belt. Lost a pair when the sheath came off my belt. Those pliers were attached to the sheath. Got a new pair and the same thing happened two weeks later. Found the pliers sitting on a flat rock in 12 ft of water just like an Easter Egg with a foot of weed all around it. Somebody was looking out for me!

I always have a lanyard past 3yrs I have been using the retractable kind love it. I just order T-reign one and their sheath with a built in one to test out..

Denny I just recived a pair of the Penn bull nose 8". First impression are they are a little heavy but to be expected I'm SS compared to my accurate lites. Looks sturdy the jaws do not close flush but have less gap than all others I have seen. They were a little wide for my liking. Its not like I have small hand but just got use to small width pliers and such with my hand tools. The grips are a plastic rubber slide on secured with glue. I slid one of with a rubber mallet heated and bent them a little regule and slid the handle back one now they fit perfect. But I still think I am going to pick up a pair of Donnmars. What do you think is better SS or is TI worth the extra $$

I am personally going to get the ti when I do 1) because I don't usually where a belt and there is a big difference in weight when clipped to pants and 2) because of projected longevity. I say projected longevity because my Dad has had a pair since the late 90s early 2000s, that were kinda dingy and had minimal surface rust moreso rust spotting. Sent them back a few weeks ago and they look brand new. On the other hand I have seen two other steel pairs that had much more significant rusting occuring, esp around the jaw cutouts and where it hinges that were less than 5 years old and not even washed. If you take care of your pliers and keep clean the stainless will last like my dads and weight doesn't bother him on his belt either, but for me it will hopefully be a lifetime ti purchase if I ever get around to buying them.