Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Schullery

Dominican Republic--shoreline fishing?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Last winter we escaped Michigan for ten days to the Grand Lucayan in the Bahamas. While there, we were persuaded to buy into a "Travel Smart" package of good deals on some future vacations at our choice of five other resorts. One of the options is a place in the Dominican Republic. Although none of these trips are serious fly fishing outings, I'm pre-approved for bringing some fly tackle, with the expectation of noodling around to see if I can whip up any action on nearby water front. This proved futile at the Grand Lucayan--except for a few chases by a needlefish. Has anyone had experience in the Dominican Republic? Another of our options is a place in Jamaica, but the story of locals fishing with dynamite, described in an earlier thread, has sort of put me off on that option. 

Thanks!

Steve

I took fly tackle to Punta Cana. Fished every morning and caught nothing. Guys using spinning gear caught some small fish on metal. There is a barrier reef and it's not very deep between the reef and shore. Now I take both spinning and fly when I travel.

Edited by 2dogs

I was also planning a trip to the dominicans and was wondering the same thing, (should I bring any tackle) by the sound of things it might be better to book a charter..  

If you are in the Samana region, have a meal at El Monte Azul.     An extraordinary place with an unbelievable view and great food.     You can look them up on Trip Advisor

corresponded with Mike from Mikes marina in Punta cana  FWIW

the shared 4hrs charters do fish the same areas with the same baits than the private charters do, but you will be 4 single/different anglers on board, and the chance to raise and hook and release 4 billfish/one per angler are very slim to zero on just a 4hrs charter for 4 different anglers. there is no difference in focusing on fishes between dorado and white marlin and sailfish, as all of them are shallow water feeders, foun  in the 20-25 fathom shallows aside the deep drops/around and in current hits/temp breaks, they are present in the same area at the same time and feed on the same baitfish, but it is more likely to get 3 dozen of Mahis than to get more than one or two or even more billfish on just a 4hrs shorty.

Mike

it is allowed from the beaches and no license needed for that, but as long as you are not at one of the specific locations it is in my opinion  not worth to bring tackle for that.
the areas of the all inclusive hotels are crowded beach areas with one property aside an other, not much space for fishes to hang out at, they stay a couple hundred yards off the beaches at least to do their business. at the hotel area you are restricted to move within the tiny defines of the roped in swimming areas to wade and cast a line, not worth to bring tackle.

have a fantastic stay
Mike

I been going to Punta Cana the last couple of years and going again in May . I brought a rod last year and gear . All the stuff i use up here i got snagged on bottom a few times losing the buck tails i was using . I put on a tsunami rubber fish and had a small school of bait surround it as if it were one of there own so i thought i might at least get some sort of hit . NOPE . I did see fish breaking at different times during the day though .

I will bring a Sibicki rig thats probably spelled wrong to try and catch live bait to live line this year .

Boats are $130 - $150 but i became friends with one of the natives and got on a 6 pack boat for $90 

PM me if you want details 

Schooner Fred, those are Adirondack guide boats?

They are  - should finish mine up this spring,  I have always liked them, I used to live in the Adirondacks.    Best collection is at the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake, NY.

As I understand it, Cap Cana is where you want to go for a charter. They have good offshore bill fishing in July and August. We did a charter by picking a boat that was moored in front of the hotel. We picked the best looking one. The closer we got the worse it looked. We did manage a white and a bunch of 'cuda on the outside of the reef.

Thats funny 2dogs . I was casting and one of the guys trying to sell you the world on the beach . Said i get you on a boat $100 all day by yourself fishing on the reef . I said lets see the boat ? he says it goes by all the time Blue in color with the roof . i said that SpongeBob Square Pants looking boat ? HE says Yes Yes that is it . I said are you F@#%$^G Nuts  :laugh: