Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

How much food do you chuck?

Rate this topic

101 posts in this topic

Constant battle in my house. We don't throw a lot out, but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine. We eat "out of the fridge" at least one or two nights a week due to kids sports and activities etc.

Is it an issue in your house or no?

We throw out enough that I find it embarrassing.  The kid is weird about leftovers.  I eat them for lunch, but a lot of stuff gets chucked out.  There's 3 of us, and we could easily feed 5-6 most nights.  If the kid and his mom go away and leave me alone for a weekend, I never buy anything, there's always plenty in the fridge.

Sometimes trips to the grocery store get uncoordinated and a pack of chicken can get lost in the back for a few day's

It's a rarity but it is a pet peeve of mine also, I hate wasting food

My wife likes to cook, but she goes way overboard when she makes stuff like casserole, soup, or a pasta dish. She'll make a huge tray, but there are only three of us, and even eating as much as we can (leftovers, bringing it in for lunch, etc.), we'll eat about 25% of it, and then a week later she'll throw the rest away. 

And when I ask an honest question -- Why don't you just cook a smaller amount? -- she looks at me like I have three heads. So we do the rotation: oven to fridge to trash can... it's my house's version of Tinker to Evers to Chance. 

Glad to know I'm not alone. :D

Leftovers bug me a little, but uncooked stuff gets my nuts in a twist.

I've tossed a few pizzas that wound up charred beyond recognition.

Would have saved money just taking from the freezer to the trash can.... :banghd:

Edited by Surf Cat

We don't throw out much...most of our shopping is done locally, I'm buying what's needed mostly on a meal-by-meal basis rather than warehousing **** forever.  We eat what's cooked, my wife takes a little leftover for her lunch the next day, anything with bones gets turned into a stock and frozen.

I'm buying what's needed mostly on a meal-by-meal basis rather than warehousing **** forever. 

That's the way I am. But my wife is wired different. 

And that gives rise to a philosophical question: I buy meal-to-meal, but never shop -- I don't clip coupons, I don't buy what's on sale, etc. I just get what I need, and figure that the small amounts I'm buying offset paying more per unit. 

My wife is a better shopper than me, though, and she saves money on what she buys. So it probably ends up not costing us any more, even with the food we throw away. At least that's what I tell myself...

Edited by Belmo

And that gives rise to a philosophical question: I buy meal-to-meal, but never shop -- I don't clip coupons, I don't buy what's on sale, etc. I just get what I need, and figure that the small amounts I'm buying offset paying more per unit. 

My wife is a better shopper than me, though, and she saves money on what she buys. So it probably ends up not costing us any more, even with the food we throw away. At least that's what I tell myself...

I'm rarely in a supermarket, because most of the stuff I buy and eat is in different stores I can hit on the way home...so coupons and stuff like that are an unknown...  Household **** like paper towels, TP, detergents, etc., are an infrequent trip to Costco.

the most expensive food you buy is the food you throw away...always.  sorry.