Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Viet

Looking for an all around spinning set up

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I'm looking fir a good all around setup. Strong enough to reel in a Striper yet nimble enough to throw lure for bass in fresh water.

For right now I've considered pairing a size 30 quantum smoke on 20 pound braid with a 7 foot stcroix premier rod rated for 1/2 to 1 1/2 lures.

Any thoughts?

Yeah there really is no "all around setup" but I know what you mean. I just got the new st croix avid a week ago it's 7' 1/2 - 1 1/2 and imho it's perfect for what your asking.

I have a mojo surf 7foot 6-12 lb rod paired up with a 2500 battle that has been a super fun rod for the smaller stripers and blue fish it's also a great rod for a bit of flukeing.

post-57881-0-89182100-1453267236_thumb.jpeg

I realize that there is no true "all around" set up. I guess I'm looking for something I can handle casting for long periods of time plugging for stripers inshore or lured in fresh water for large mouth bass and maybe some smallies. Also something that don't break of I throw out a chunk of mackerel with a 2-3 ounce weight on the line.

i can safely exclude surf rods and ultra light rods here.

Also looking for a 2 piece rod

Edited by Viet

Yes, Ugly is the way to go if you want to do all that with the rod. A couple years back I was messing around with snappers in the back waters from a bridge with a little 6'6" 1/4 to 5/8 oz 2 piece US spinning rod with a 3k Saros and 10lb braid. I wound up in the middle of a bunker and big bluefish blitz. I happened to have a 2 oz snag with me. I snagged several adult bunker and landed 3 teen sized bluefish on that pathetic little rod. $39.00 Wal-Mart. There is no other rod that can do that at any price let alone $40.

I realize that there is no true "all around" set up. I guess I'm looking for something I can handle casting for long periods of time plugging for stripers inshore or lured in fresh water for large mouth bass and maybe some smallies. Also something that don't break of I throw out a chunk of mackerel with a 2-3 ounce weight on the line.

i can safely exclude surf rods and ultra light rods here.

Also looking for a 2 piece rod

^^^ That's not going to happen. Do the Ugly Stik thing. It'll bend into next week but won't break

St Croix Premier 7' MH with a 2500 Stradic with 20 braid. You will be able to have fun with large mouth bass, stripers and fluke. The premier 7 H is a broom stick, the M is too light, and the MH is just right. It is a fast rod, with a sensitive tip and a lot of back bone. Don't pay attention to the lure ratings on premiers, they are way underrated. Seriously the 7 Heavy can throw 3+ oz easy. The MH tops out around 1.5oz with 3/4oz being a sweet spot. It will throw down to 1/8oz no problem in freshwater and 1oz for salt.

Edited by faithless

If you get a st croix rod check it out at a store rather than go with ratings on the rod and buy sight unseen. I had a 7' heavy 2 pc. premier I bought about 10 years ago that was very stiff and I thought perfect for plugging stripers from my boat. It was stolen and last year I bought the same model to replace it but the shop owner had to order it. The action is more medium heavy and is completely different than my old rod. I liked the new rod and kept it but I have since bought a 7' heavy tidemaster that has the same stiffer action as my old premier. I wouldn't go lighter than the current 7' heavy premier to lob a 2-3 oz sinker and a mackerel chunk. But that rod is heavy for typical largemouth bass fishing. For your applications any rod you pick will either be on the light side for stripers or on the heavy side for largemouth bass. For the price of a st croix premier you could get 2 ugly sticks, maybe a 6'6 medium and a 7' heavy action and use the same reel on both. The gx2 series are decent 2 piece rods for less than $50.

I'm looking fir a good all around setup. Strong enough to reel in a Striper yet nimble enough to throw lure for bass in fresh water.

For right now I've considered pairing a size 30 quantum smoke on 20 pound braid with a 7 foot stcroix premier rod rated for 1/2 to 1 1/2 lures.

Any thoughts?

Read below, I have the same set-up except my Stadic is a 2000 (older model) IMO it would work fine.

St Croix Premier 7' MH with a 2500 Stradic with 20 braid. You will be able to have fun with large mouth bass, stripers and fluke. The premier 7 H is a broom stick, the M is too light, and the MH is just right. It is a fast rod, with a sensitive tip and a lot of back bone. Don't pay attention to the lure ratings on premiers, they are way underrated. Seriously the 7 Heavy can throw 3+ oz easy. The MH tops out around 1.5oz with 3/4oz being a sweet spot. It will throw down to 1/8oz no problem in freshwater and 1oz for salt.

Edited by needles

If you want LMB, stay away from heavier uglystiks and the light uglystiks are nothing against bigger fish (think noodles).

If you want a 2-piece rod that can cast 3oz and handle bigger fish, but not come off as overkill for LMB and SMB, you are going to have a tough time finding that rod. If you would except a 1-piece rod, that would open your options right up.

The St. Croix Mojo Cat 8ft Med. power rod comes in 2-piece, can cast up too 3oz, and has the strength for bigger fish but the light weight for smaller fish, it is well worth a look. They come in both spinning and casting versions. Pair the rod with a Stradic 5000 or similar sized reel. The only problem is that the Mojo Cats are on back order across the country due too demand.

Was out shopping with the warden yesterday, no snow here. Went into the big box store D***S...they had the mojo swimbait rod on sale.. Very nice in between rod.. 7'8"- 1-4oz.casting. Deffenatly has the balls for saltwater striper/blues..if your good with a baitcaster you could probably throw down to3/4 oz.with a 5000 size reel and 17lb.mono or 14lb.fireline.

Edited by CDubbs