Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stryper Snyper

Paracord grips

12 posts in this topic

Want to use paracord for some grips. Should I use an underlayment of any sorts? Double sided tape? Cork tape? Shrink tube? Any kind of sealer needed on the cord? Tried the search but couldn't find much. Trying to keep the rod light in the hand. Appreciate any and all help you guys. Thanks in advance.

I use alot of tarred seiners cord, I'm not a fan of the polyester rope everyone refers to as parachute cord (which is something else entirely). You can use shrink wrap or cork tape/non skid to bulk up a handle if the diameter is too small, but you don't have to. I've never put anything over tarred seiners cord.

In the Delmarva Report, there is a separate Custom Rod pose, there was some extensive info there on cord grips. It was a good while back a may not have made it through the system changes, but worth the search.

I use 2 to 4 coats of a liquid urethane brushed over cord grips. Each coat lighter than the next. Let them dry fully in between each coat. Seals them, keeps dirt out (a little bit), and gives them protection. When I get off work I will post which brand I use. Beware on some cord grip types it will darken the color a little.

DG

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Right now I'm leaning towards doing 550 para with core removed on the but and 550 with core intact over cork or something on the foregrip (for some bulk). If anyone has some recent pictures for inspiration that would be awesome. My blanks came today. Seats should be here tomorrow. Gonna be a fun project!

I love cord grips.  If I want a large diameter I will use cork tape under the cord but usually I will place the cord straight onto the blank. I prefer the atwood 1/16" microcord over the paracord.  Usually I will cover the cord in one heavy coat of spar urethane to make it bulletproof. Many people leave it as is and that's fine too. 

Stryper,these are old photos, been up on here before. Poly cord with spar varnish coat, it discolored the lighter colored cord.

If I ever do it again I will use auto clear coat spray, 2 or 3 light coats.

post-28967-0-37093500-1454197259_thumb.jpg

post-28967-0-24488900-1454197486_thumb.jpg

I recently did a simple cord wrap on a tuna rod I built for myself.. It originally had Hypolon as the fore-grip,, but after the 1st fish I fought on it,  I realized I had turned it down to far..which made my hand cramp awful..  so I was looking for a way to bulk it back up a little.. I went with tarred seiners twine..right over the existing hypolon...don't know from fancy knots..I  just wrapped and tucked it the same way I would serve a bowstring..and as I wasn't sure I would like it,  or how the hypolon beneath  would react, I didn't apply any varnish..  and after a couple trips it hasn't budged.. so I doubt I will.. but i do like it.. it gave me back the bulk I needed..and the gripage is great.. and being as I use it mostly on party boats, its stands up nice to the rail abuse..

post-17025-0-54457600-1454949434_thumb.jpg

Never used paracord on a rod but I wrap my wading staff handles in paracord. If you wrap it tight and then pour boiling water over it and let it sit till dry it will shrink to a death grip around whatever it us wrapped around. You will definately want to cover it with a dressing as paracord gets grimy fast. Sorry for the crappy pictures.

post-67924-0-94286800-1455626537.jpg

post-67924-0-95555500-1455626659.jpg