Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Cuomo is getting giddy

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Another LIRR track out from NYC east. A new Penn Station. A new tunnel under the Hudson.  A road and rail tunnel from Long Island to Connecticut. Rebuild LaGuardia Airport. Holy crap, the man is throwing megabuck proposals around like Robert Moses with a gold mine.

I pass on which of these things are good or bad, I don't know where he proposes to get the money (Tappan Zee #2 has kinda tappened out the State's construction checkbook ... har har har) but I do wonder why he is so giddy, and here's my notion.

#1 He's not getting indicted. The US Attorney has announced that there's no charges to be forthcoming from Cuomo's abrupt end to the Moreland Committee. I had thought that if there was anything to the rumors that he'd be next in line for indictment, that would be the basis. Fishweewee, your thoughts?

#2 Hillary's in trouble. ( Latest polls in NH).  The Party establishment is horrified by Sanders. Compromise candidate Cuomo?  After all, life is a matter of positioning.....

#3 At the very least, now that he's not getting charged, he's suddenly keen to have a big legacy.

He hasn't mentioned that one yet, AFAIK. Besides, that's the kind of infrastructure that people barely know exists, like the City's big new water tunnel.  He's talking - by political standards, almost ranting - about the In Your Face, highly visible stuff. 

Another LIRR track out from NYC east. A new Penn Station. A new tunnel under the Hudson.  A road and rail tunnel from Long Island to Connecticut. Rebuild LaGuardia Airport. Holy crap, the man is throwing megabuck proposals around like Robert Moses with a gold mine.

I pass on which of these things are good or bad, I don't know where he proposes to get the money (Tappan Zee #2 has kinda tappened out the State's construction checkbook ... har har har) but I do wonder why he is so giddy, and here's my notion.

#1 He's not getting indicted. The US Attorney has announced that there's no charges to be forthcoming from Cuomo's abrupt end to the Moreland Committee. I had thought that if there was anything to the rumors that he'd be next in line for indictment, that would be the basis. Fishweewee, your thoughts?

#2 Hillary's in trouble. ( Latest polls in NH).  The Party establishment is horrified by Sanders. Compromise candidate Cuomo?  After all, life is a matter of positioning.....

#3 At the very least, now that he's not getting charged, he's suddenly keen to have a big legacy.

All I know is I want to be out of here before the bill comes due.

BrianBM said "Another LIRR track out from NYC east. A new Penn Station. A new tunnel under the Hudson.  A road and rail tunnel from Long Island to Connecticut"

Other than Penn Station it sounds like he is building a bridge to the late 19th century.

On the merits of individual proposals, I dunno.  Sandy left the Hudson River tunnels in dire need of repairs that require shutting down one tunnel at a time, and they're old as is. I get that one.  A tunnel from Long island to Connecticut would involve punching major construction through some very well-to-do areas, they're not going to want that one bit. People along the LIRR routes will fight construction tooth and nail, NIMBY is the controlling principal of suburban politics.

Where is he coming from?

One of the grand things about big-ticket construction is that it involves bonds, lots and lots and lots of bonds. Financing big projects from ongoing taxes is barely possibly, if at all, and it raises tax hike questions, and people hate a dollar's raise in today's taxes more than they think about $50 in debt next week. And a taxpayer doesn't necessarily contribute to your next fundraiser because he pays taxes, but oh those banks and Wall Street firms, the underwriters and advisors and consultants, why, they'll definitely express gratitude. Makes a man thinking about his next election positively..giddy?

The author of NYS 'Safe' Act hasn't got a hoots chance in Hell in the Swing States. So please draft & nominate Cuomo for President. Please. Cuomo is just another imperious goomba; a 'progressive' Trump.

As to infrastructure spending, that ship has sailed. Should have done it after '08. Both Cuomo and Mao-lloy here in the PRC are spending money they don't have. Mao-lloy has proposed 100 BILLION in  highway & rail projects over the next 50 years. Money we don't have, and I would guess Cuomo's pipe dreams are unfunded, as well.

I'm not quite sure what purpose a NY-CT tunnel under LIS would serve, except to piss away money. I can not think of any need.

the third track is sorely needed. railroad cannot accommodate any more trains due to a lack of track space. the new penn station would be 1 block west which i dont think is a good idea. right now its between the 1,2,3, trains on 7th ave and a,c,e, on 8th. moving it one block west would mean those taking 1,2,3, would have to walk one block west. essentially everyone would be boarding the east end of the train which is what happens now on tracks 17-13. its a mess. my understanding is that the li-ct tunnel idea would be privately (amtrak for rail and some investor for cars) funded but it needs govt approval.  problem is, if it's meant to be a high speed track, which is what i've heard, than all crossings along the existing route would have to be eliminated. i'm pretty sure the feds only allow a speed of 80 mph with crossings. remove the crossings and the speed can be increased. i think each crossing costs about $40 million to remove and if they are planning on going towards pt jeff i think there's about 15-20 crossings along the way. 

Here in PA, every night I see a commercial on TV touting how NY is "open for business" reduced taxes for businesses, tech centers in Albany and Long Island, etc.

Hearing these proposals I wonder what folks in Buffalo and the rest of upstate think about paying for all these improvements to fuel the downstate economy?

:v:

Those grandiose NY commercials touting NYS as a good place for business are an abysmal failure. Less than 1,000 jobs have been created, at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars per job. Nobody can piss away money like a 'progressive' New Yawka'.

I still don't see the NEED for a CT-NY tunnel. Someone illuminate me. Please.  :waiting:

High speed rail in the Northeast corridor is near impossible. Too many twists and turns on the existing tracks, which are near 150 years old. Has anyone ever done a cost-benefit analysis on these EcoNut pipe dreams?

most of these politicians  are looking for resume builders. they want to be able to stand on a podium and let people know how they built a new branch into grand central (at 5 times the budget) or a tunnel between li and ct. that money would be better spent maintaining the current system, but maintenance is not glorious and people want to see where their tax and fares go. unless you live in seaford do you care that seaford got a new station.