Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

What does Trump want?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Does Donald Trump want to be President, or does he want to prove that he can win an election to be President?  I'm serious, not a joke.

There was a long piece in the NYT last week about his purchase and ultimate loss of the Plaza Hotel in NYC. The long and short of it is that he's in love with the deal, is a totally brilliant salesman with an uncanny ability to read people and know how to sell to them. I get that; it's not news; if there were a list of the world's Top Ten Salesmen, nobody would quarrel with his name being on the list.  The same article also quoted anonymous sources who dealt with him, and were involved in the purchase and eventual sale on losing terms of the Plaza, as saying that Trump loses interest in things once he's bought them. It's the dealmaking that engages him.

I don't think that anyone here has dealt with Trump, but we have people here who have dealt with other big movers and shakers. comment?

PS. I am not sure that he's remotely serious about occupying Syrian oilfields, or building a wall on the Mexican border, etc., but there is one policy goal on which I think he is totally serious: a big high-end tax cut.

. It's the dealmaking that engages him.

Well with the problems facing this nation he will be engaged in deal making for at least 4 years.

A big high end tax cut is a non starter.

By footing the bill to run and if he wins taking a job that pays way less, makes sense.

Suck it up, he's the response to King Barry's rule the last 7 years; much like Barry won on the anti-Bush model, among others things.

He wants to provide, "opiate to the masses" and make alot more money while he is at it.

Well with the problems facing this nation he will be engaged in deal making for at least 4 years.

A big high end tax cut is a non starter.

A big high end tax cut is on the announced policy list of EVERY Republican candidate. Jeb Bush's is the most modest, a mere 11% for families with gross incomes of over $400K a year, but they are all proposing a high-end tax cut.

A big high end tax cut is on the announced policy list of EVERY Republican candidate. Jeb Bush's is the most modest, a mere 11% for families with gross incomes of over $400K a year, but they are all proposing a high-end tax cut.

Good for donations.............Non starter in reality.

I hope you're right, but I think not. Tax cuts at the high end have been a part of the GOP's DNA since President Reagan.

Um Kennedy?

Does Donald Trump want to be President, or does he want to prove that he can win an election to be President? 

I do not think Trump really wants to be president.

What motivates Trump is dealing  himself to the electorate, a deal that if successful will be the biggest deal of his life.

Trivial by comparison, DoOver.

If you were to graph the national debt against GNP, you would see a steady ratio of the one against the other from WW II to Ronald Reagan. Then it spikes. The numbers evened out again under Clinton, but resumed climbing again with President Bush. 

There are two legitimate reasons to run a big deficit. Win a war, as with FDR, or stimulate the economy, with FDR and Obama (more the latter). The numbers have improved the past few years as the economy improved. Watch for a deficit explosion when the GOP recovers the White House; the first order of business will be tax cuts for that oh-so-beloved fraction of 1% of the wealthiest Americans. The excuse will be that this will create plenty of capital for investment. The reality is that it's the concentration of wealth as an ideological statement, and it's good for the Party's coffers.

Interest rates are going to stay low for a long, long time. We are not short of investment capital and we're not going to be short anytime soon. The interests of that 1% are not synonymous with those of the larger American community. ... gonna do a longer post on this sometime soon, this was meant to be a Trump's-motivation thread.

The same article also quoted anonymous sources who dealt with him, and were involved in the purchase and eventual sale on losing terms of the Plaza, as saying that Trump loses interest in things once he's bought them. It's the dealmaking that engages him.

Brian, I bet the NY Times could quote anonymous sources to say just about anything about anyone - that's the great thing about anonymous sources, they can be entirely full of ****, they can be motivate by money, anger, spite, jealousy, power, politics, etc, etc...  If the NY Times could not find one, single person willing to go on the record saying something that innocuous about Trump, it says a lot about the veracity of the comment.

He wants to provide, "opiate to the masses" and make alot more money while he is at it.

He throws parties that cost more than he'd get paid being president :o

TimS

Trivial by comparison, DoOver.

If you were to graph the national debt against GNP, you would see a steady ratio of the one against the other from WW II to Ronald Reagan. Then it spikes. The numbers evened out again under Clinton, but resumed climbing again with President Bush. 

There are two legitimate reasons to run a big deficit. Win a war, as with FDR, or stimulate the economy, with FDR and Obama (more the latter). The numbers have improved the past few years as the economy improved. Watch for a deficit explosion when the GOP recovers the White House; the first order of business will be tax cuts for that oh-so-beloved fraction of 1% of the wealthiest Americans. The excuse will be that this will create plenty of capital for investment. The reality is that it's the concentration of wealth as an ideological statement, and it's good for the Party's coffers.

Interest rates are going to stay low for a long, long time. We are not short of investment capital and we're not going to be short anytime soon. The interests of that 1% are not synonymous with those of the larger American community. ... gonna do a longer post on this sometime soon, this was meant to be a Trump's-motivation thread.

So there is no place for cutting the size of Government? Just more of the same tax and spend? 

At first I thought he considered himself as "bigger the Presidency" and just running to sell the Trump brand.

Now seems to be enjoying his success on the trail and is kind of a happy warrior. Look how he treats the other candidates - he is simultaneously an outsider - and the emerging elder statesman who sees the world as it really is.

Its almost as if he magnanimously allows the other candidates to express their views on the stage which he dominates. Its Trump's world and they just live in it.

Plus, I think the worst kept secret in politics is being whispered in his ear  -   "You are the only one who can beat Hillary"