Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
enus911

Rpm's on my spinner!

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hi guys .... I have a question being new to the plug building I'm having problems with my epoxy ....which could be one of the following or all?

1. Rpms on my spinner is like 2 1/2 a minute

2. I epoxy in my basement it's cooler but I have a space heater directed on the plugs as they spin....

3. It could be the epoxy but I seem to run into problems with etex ... Seems to be super finicky... I have been using bob smith 20 min finish and have had good results and shorter cure times but it seems clumpy which could be me putting way to much on! I Have a plug that is still tacky days later and was spot on when mixing and I let it sit for at least 5 min after mixing(etex)!

Any help is greatly appreciated....thinking about encasing the spinner and putting a light in there with it also thinking about system 3 clear epoxy for a Change of Epoxy!

2.5 per minute?  too slow.  a lightbulb heated enclosed spinner would be beneficial, especially in a cold cellar. Plus keeps dust off too.I find epoxy does not like cold cellars at all.

2.5 per minute?  too slow.  a lightbulb heated enclosed spinner would be beneficial, especially in a cold cellar. Plus keeps dust off too.I find epoxy does not like cold cellars at all.

Is there a motor you would recommend picking up? Thanks so much for the input ....I think it's a combo of me loading the plug up with epoxy and the slow spinner!

What do you do with your excess epoxy when you are done applying?

One thing I always do is split it and put one tin in the spinner box and one outside.

Something to think about.

I check the tins before I check the plugs. Helps to rule out a few things right off the bat.

well I guess than the rpm's are not an issue if it works well for WV. I have never used anything that slow

Edited by Steel Pulse

Also make sure the plugs aren't flopping over as the dryer turns. If that's happening more epoxy will end up on one side of the plug.

+1  That was a problem I have had.    I use a rotisserie in mine which also turns ~ 3RPM

I use etex.  Mix for two minutes and start brushing on right away, no issues but I also use multiple thin coats.  A thin coat is achieved by trimming my acid brush short which makes for a stiffer brush.     If you use heavy coats of etex and have a slow and erratic spinning motion, I can imagine it will shift.