Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Anyone here ever have an MRI in one of those newer 'Open' machines?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

So...after having several experiences in the past in those more 'enclosed' machines, I asked for(borderline demanded) an open machine for my claustrophobic ass...and they set me up for an appointment at another location (and charged me $350.00,  which I don't recall ever having to pay for the onsite suffocation tube...they had me pay today for an appointment tomorrow...)...I'll have to ask them tomorrow if opting for an open machine costs more money. They did mention that I had a $250.00 deductible on my insurance, plus a $90-something dollar co pay...

But anyway, anyone here go through one of those? How more open are these machines? In my case, they'll be examining the lumbar section of my back

I have had dozens of MRIs but never in the open machine. Recently, I have found that they want deductible payments upfront. I was told too many uncollectibles were encountered previously. 

I usually fall asleep in the tube. No BS :D

Yep. I have had one. I didn't find it much better then the tube. I have had a whole bunch of MRIs and never had a problem. At one point i started to freak and asked for the open one and it didn't help much. It is still an inch from your nose.

I remember being claustrophobic as a child but I went on to get scuba certified as an adult and figured I was over it.

Get your doc to give you valium. Just for the tube. Don't get friendly with them. 

Btw, if they're scanning the back, do they have you lay on your stomach or are you still on your back (past several were for hip issues and to find the root cause for a post gallbladder removal gallbladder attack and I was on my back for that

I had to go to 3 different places before I found a machine where my head was not in the tube.I was still sweating like a pig .You could rung a gallon of sweat out of the gown I was wearing.....There is a place in n. jersey that has a sit down version of the open MRI that is better than the other" open" type machines. 

I'll be interested in following this.  I never had claustrophobia issues, I was a scuba diver for decades doing lots of serious deep dives.  But recently had an MRI for shoulder problems and I had all I could do to keep from crawling out of that noisy tube.  Diving, you learn to deal with the way panic sets in and how to tamp it down.  I know I'd need meds to go through another MRI.  Which I may need, by he way.

Valium. I don't mean to sound like a know it all. Had both hips doe in the early 2000s. Seven unsuccessful shoulder jobs ten years later then had them replaced. I didn't mind the tube till just lately. I need Meds.

Did you dive past the tables? I suspect that may have blown my joints out a bit. My buddy didn't. But he lived a much different life then me.

Edited by jmlandru

Wife had sit down one the last time she had one.

I had regular one for back and hips and a little extremity one for my knees

My last long MRI was on my lower back, cervical spine and brain. 

I was in the machine for over 2 1/2 hours. The technician said it was like MRI'ing a corpse. I never moved. 

They get easier the more you do... 

Open was a thousand times easier (for me) than closed. Last year had a back MRI in closed, got so anxious I almost bailed out beforehand. Asked for an open one for neck, no problem at all. Basically sat in chair with machine around you but open in front, with a TV to watch. No stress at all, and they said the lumbar MRI would've been the same.