Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tristate

IBSP surf launch

18 posts in this topic

Kayakers are yammering about surf launch. Let your opinions known. IMHO IBSP Has had long and honored history as a great place to surf fish. Kayaks launching and fishing where we are casting would be a fiasco. Thousands of buggy permit holders have not needed kayaks to catch fish, and do nor want kayaks getting in the way. I kayak all year except Sept, Oct, and Nov. But don't want kayaks out front when I'm surf fishing.

As both a surf fisherman and a kayak fisherman, I too have an opinion on the subject and I would say that surf launches from IBSP would be a bad idea for a different reason than stated by TriState...

Surf fishing and kayak fishing co-exist elsewhere and I would hope that if it were done at IBSP it would be the same but there is a risk.  That risk isn't why I'd say no to kayak launching on a beach buggy beach...

If you allow people to drive on with kayaks, the number buggies stuck below the high tide line would increase 10 fold. First off, you'd have trucks and jeeps and what-not trying to drop off their kayaks as close to the water as possible and then--STUCK with a capital S.  Pretty soon it would look like Normandy 30 years after the invasion with rusted hulks lining the shore line.

Second, what about the guy or gal who rolls up onto the beach, unloads their buggy, goes off to kayak and is gone for 12 hours?  Sure 1 or 2 of those isn't a big deal, but imagine 10, 20, 30 parked trucks with no one in them?  Am i exaggerating?  Yep.  But you get my point.

Like I said, I am both---surf fishing guide and experienced kayak fisherman and kayaking guide---Would I love to drive on to a beach with my kayak? Yep.  Do I think it should be allowed at IBSP? No.  Just not the place for it.  

Just my 2 cents which these days is worth a lot less than it used to...

Gotta share the water man. There's enough beach for everyone.

And think of it this way: The more people that are enjoying the beaches, the more people there will be that care about keeping the beaches clean.

IBSP provides bayside kayak launch areas but actively discourages surf launching.  I don't think they appreciate swimming outside of guarded areas but that's not discouraged, same with surfing.  So is the kayak surf launch process inherently more dangerous than swimming outside of guarded areas?  Perhaps that's why it's not allowed?  Anyone ever ask management and get the truth, not just a "it's against the rules"?  I don't mind sharing the water, how often are the boats well within surf casting range?  A few yakers won't make a difference compared to all the boats.  I say ban the boats  :p 

When half of the 5,000 buggy permit holders have kayaks on their roof and launch in a blitz, hookup are being dragged around where you are fishing, you will care. Surfers do not target hot spots but kayaks will be right where you want to cast,and following the fish. Buggys will be parked on the beach and left blocking the track, they will be left below high tide line. Idiots will be launching in rough surf,that will be good entertainment and we will find free gear on the beach. I kayak all year and am against it. Think about it, it is not a good thing for the beach goers or the buggy owners.

I don't think it would be anything like what you're painting. I still don't understand why launching kayaks would be bad for "beach goers" and buggy pass holders. It's not like 90 guys are going to all of a sudden show up and try to launch in between the shoulder to shoulder blitz BS that goes on down there.

I think you're assuming that 90% of the dumbass weekend guys all have kayaks and are the ones requesting permission which isn't the case.

It's sort of like complaining about the spear fishing guys at the inlets.

Edited by MitchellNJ

Surf launching of full size boats without trailers is done ON Cape Cod without issue.

Why would launching little kayaks be a problem?

07312007007.jpg

07312007005.jpg

07312007001.jpg

07312007010.jpg

07312007018.jpg

Surf launching of full size boats without trailers is done ON Cape Cod without issue.

Why would launching little kayaks be a problem?

07312007007.jpg

07312007005.jpg

07312007001.jpg

07312007010.jpg

07312007018.jpg

Put about 40 surfcasters in any of those pics and that's what he's talking about.

Not that anyone would think to launch in those conditions. But were talking about worst case scenarios here which only occur a few days of the year.

Why not have a 50 yard section of beach for kayak surf launches, with a parking area well above the high tide line.

Kind of a beach launch boat ramp kind of thing.

Most yakkers will stay kind of close to the launch, and the surf fishermen will encounter less and less yakkers as they move up the beach.

Both sides happy?

50 yds. is 150', at 10' per vehicle (actually should be more like 15') that's only 15 vehicles, what do you tell the other 1+ kayakers, Go Home? 

As both a surf fisherman and a kayak fisherman, I too have an opinion on the subject and I would say that surf launches from IBSP would be a bad idea for a different reason than stated by TriState...

Surf fishing and kayak fishing co-exist elsewhere and I would hope that if it were done at IBSP it would be the same but there is a risk.  That risk isn't why I'd say no to kayak launching on a beach buggy beach...

If you allow people to drive on with kayaks, the number buggies stuck below the high tide line would increase 10 fold. First off, you'd have trucks and jeeps and what-not trying to drop off their kayaks as close to the water as possible and then--STUCK with a capital S.  Pretty soon it would look like Normandy 30 years after the invasion with rusted hulks lining the shore line.

Second, what about the guy or gal who rolls up onto the beach, unloads their buggy, goes off to kayak and is gone for 12 hours?  Sure 1 or 2 of those isn't a big deal, but imagine 10, 20, 30 parked trucks with no one in them?  Am i exaggerating?  Yep.  But you get my point.

Like I said, I am both---surf fishing guide and experienced kayak fisherman and kayaking guide---Would I love to drive on to a beach with my kayak? Yep.  Do I think it should be allowed at IBSP? No.  Just not the place for it.  

Just my 2 cents which these days is worth a lot less than it used to...

this is the truth to many trucks left behind.