Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Mount Washington had a wind gust today of....

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Highest ever recorded on earth wow, never knew that

Turns out that it's the highest wind ever recorded with a hand held devise...I've since discovered that an unmanned device measured a higher wind in a typhoon out in the Pacific Ocean (I believe it was 260+ MPH)

albacized, on 22 Jan 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:albacized, on 22 Jan 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

Turns out that it's the highest wind ever recorded with a hand held devise...I've since discovered that an unmanned device measured a higher wind in a typhoon out in the Pacific Ocean (I believe it was 260+ MPH)

Just to set the record straight it was not a hand held device, that recorded the 231mph wind on April 12, 1934 . The  #2 heated anemometer that recorded the 231 mph world record wind,was mounted on the roof of The Mt. Washington Auto Road Stage Office

world-record-wind-1.jpg

The Mt. Washington Auto Road Stage Office, where the Observatory was first established, with an anemometer mounted on the roof and thermometer housing mounted on the northern exterior wall.

world-record-wind-2.jpg

Observer Aubrey Hustead holding the #2 heated anemometer that recorded the 231 mph world record wind.

source.  mount washington org

Edited by TimS

That is pretty sweet looking 1930's Gore tex he's wearing.  So cool that structure stood tall in that weather.  Something to be said for older building methods.

I'm thinking today's usual construction would not hold up to that .

J

it's nasty up there, someone dies every few years or so - we've been up skiing in tuckermanns ravine into May & Mother's Day some seasons. I know there was some argument with that wind record a few years back, I think a storm in one of the deserts in Africa came pretty close or beat that 231mph "allegedly" - straight line winds, tornados don't count. they were going back and forth over the instruments. hope it officially stays up there in NH. nice little claim to fame.

its not even that tall a mountain compared to out west but it's the tallest thing around and funnels weather systems in from the west and north. the observatory and auto road or railway are neat experiences if anyone gets up that way. be careful hiking though and pay attention to the weather warnings. storms roll in quick, you lose visibility, lighting strikes and even experienced outdoors people can get disoriented, lose the trail above the treeline - either end up taking a fall down a gully or have to hunker down for awhile, which is tough without a bivy or extra layers, etc. 

With all that nasty stuff that funnels over it you can lose your life to exposure in June or July if the weather switches on you. Not a place to play silly with Mother Nature. Gorgeous spot, been there a few times when I was down there as a kid/teenager/university student but I would never think about simply walking up in shorts and a tee shirt without cool weather gear in a backpack. People have done that and they are dead.