dannyplug1

Need review of bob pops new book

25 posts in this topic

I am going crazy I need to think about fishing. I have bob popovics first book pop flies was thinking of purchasing his new book. Any reviews yet? Is it he same material?, revised? Or crammed with new ideas. Thanks Charlie. Can't to get a look at it.

Got mine today and have only paged through it--haven't read it--but it looks full of a lot of new stuff.  New flies and revisions of old flies.  Great photography, that really shows the step-by-step process of tying. It looks exceptional to me.  It's BobPop!  I'll buy any book he brings out--he's my #1 fly tying hero.  :clap:

Got mine today and have only paged through it--haven't read it--but it looks full of a lot of new stuff.  New flies and revisions of old flies.  Great photography, that really shows the step-by-step process of tying. It looks exceptional to me.  It's BobPop!  I'll buy any book he brings out--he's my #1 fly tying hero.  :clap:

I'm going to guess that some of the revisions involves using the UV light glue instead of epoxy (???)

I'm going to guess that some of the revisions involves using the UV light glue instead of epoxy (???)

Yes, like I said, I have just paged through it, but I did see pics of Tuffleye and candies and there's a chapter about Fleye Foils I think.  Lots of buck tail work too--bulk heads and hollows etc.  

The book is all that and then some.... As impressive as all the fleyes are from Bob and the contributors, the information on baits they match and fishing them is equally exciting. There's something there for beginners to experienced tiers/fisherman.

It was discounted if you preordered on Amazon, not sure what it costs now. I thumbed through mine which arrived about an hour ago and WOW, what a vast collection of insight. Worth every penny. BUY IT

Posted (edited)

I'm buying it regardless ... but I would also like to hear some honest feedback.

Is that possible here?

On forums like this nobody wants to take a well respected tier and point out even a hint of a nagative...but I'm also a big fans of candor. There's one book that never rec'd much attention but is hands down my favorite. Another by a very well know personality that is borderline garbage ... Blatant Typos, pictures not centered or cropped properly, not organized... But it would be blasphemy to call anyone out. How about pros and cons, or we all agree to say it's wonderful?

I did really like pop flies. Tied a gazillion based on what I learned in that book... I expect to see the new book in a week or so. Can't wait

Edited by JohnP

I'm buying it regardless ... but I would also like to hear some honest feedback.

Is that possible here?

On forums like this nobody wants to take a well respected tier and point out even a hint of a nagative...but I'm also a big fans of candor. There's one book that never rec'd much attention but is hands down my favorite. Another by a very well know personality that is borderline garbage ... Blatant Typos, pictures not centered or cropped properly, not organized... But it would be blasphemy to call anyone out. How about pros and cons, or we all agree to say it's wonderful?

I did really like pop flies. Tied a gazillion based on what I learned in that book... I expect to see the new book in a week or so. Can't wait

Bob Popovics' latest book is worth it just for the photography and the discussion about SW baitfish (I started reading it today).  I have bought other tying books and don't even remember their names--I gave them away.  As of last week I had two in my "library"--Pop Fleyes, and Bob Ververka's Innovative Saltwater Flies, from 1999.  With Bob's new book, I now have three.

So, be candid--what's the unknown book that is your favorite?  (I don't care about the one that is borderline garbage).   ;)

I don't know if I've ever giving a book away. Lol ...

ok the best I've seen on fly fishing striped bass is Rich Murphys book. Its not a tying or pattern book, but the detail, organization and photography is nothing like I'd ever seen. It's got the detail, but pretty enough for the coffee table. The negative? Mostly references things in New England, not much about New York and NJ

I'd rather not say the negative book....It would be like talking down Santa Claus to the kids. I can pm you if you want

But I would like maybe some pros and cons on this one. Unless it's perfect in every way

(I know I know, sorry it's the smarty pants in me)

I was just talking about tying books--most don't impress me and I only have three.  I agree that Murphy's book is a great fishing book.  My all time favorite is McClane's Fishing Encyclopedia, but that's just for sentimental reasons--I spent hours on the living room floor studying that book as a kid in 60's and 70's.

I like the book that came out a couple years called Blitz, or something like that.  Great photography.  The book I'm waiting for is one by Dave Skok--that could have superb flies and tying, and lots of his great photography.  I don't even know if he's working on a book, but I wish he would.

And start being more generous,JohnP--share and give away a few books!  I give away books all the time, especially fiction or history that I know I won't read again.

Actually Bob's new book has a lot of stuff I probably will never use.  In the fishing I do I never see bait bigger than a 5" silverside usually, so a lot of the info on big hollows and Beasts and Bulkheads is not relevant to me, but I still enjoy seeing how it's done.  And the info and photos on bait and Surf Candies and general techniques are great.  The book's biggest flaw--it's too short.

AJ McClanes fishing encyclopedia...man,that brings back memories! Lot of inspiration in that book for a young fisherman.

AJ McClanes fishing encyclopedia...man,that brings back memories! Lot of inspiration in that book for a young fisherman.

I still have my copy from the 60's--one of my most prized possessions. :)

I really like the amount of detail and explanation he goes to in each step of his tutorials. A lot of photo step by steps online give a snippit of info and a photo.