Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surffishinfiend

Baseball and gambling...

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

No, not another thread about that ginger that played for the big red machine.

Yu Darvish, might be in a bit of hot water.

Major League Baseball is investigating Texas Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish after his brother, Sho, was arrested in Japan on gambling charges.  

"We are aware of this situation and are looking into it, per our standard protocols," said Michael Teevan, MLB’s vice president for communications, in a statement to the Japan TimesJack Gallagher.

As of yet, Yu Darvish hasn't been accused of any wrongdoing.

According to Gallagher, Sho Darvish is alleged to have run a gambling ring that took bets on MLB and Nippon Professional Baseball games, collecting roughly 18.5 million yen (roughly $157,000) from 1,850 wagers. It's unknown whether Darvish took bets on Rangers games, and neither police in Osaka, Japan, nor MLB has connected Yu Darvish to the alleged ring in a direct way.

Although Darvish missed the entire 2015 season while recovering fromTommy John surgery, author Robert Whiting, who has written about Japanese baseball, hypothesized to Gallagher that Darvish might have unintentionally supplied insider information to his brother as part of their normal everyday conversation.

Should Yu Darvish be found to have been active in the ring, MLB won't be afraid to drop the hammer on the three-time All-Star.

Pete Rose was banned for life in 1989 by then-commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti for gambling on games. Current commissioner Rob Manfred's decision to deny Rose reinstatement illustrates how seriously the league continues to take the issue.

I used to know a guy at Santa Anita Park who said that Pete Rose was an occasional regular there for many, many years. 

He said Pete was the worst bettor he ever saw. :D

Edited by Belmo

I used to know a guy at Santa Anita Park who said that Pete Rose was an occasional regular there for many, many years. 

and thats only when your friend saw him in person, 10's of 1000s of bets Mr. Rose placed were thru bookies and runners

Isn't there some sort of uproar in the Tennis right now with betting and fixing ( throwing) matches, caught alittle bit on the radio. 16 of the top 50 players are dirty

Djockovich said he was offered 200K in russia to throw an opening round match.  Same guy, a few years back, there was rumbles of fixing a match, due to the wild swings in betting that turned out to be right, just minutes before the match started(if I remember correctly).

I can't believe darvish would be placing bets as the amount of money is relatively small. When shoeless Joe Jackson and even rose got caught the money the money could have been more an impact. But if he's guilty give him a boot

"occasional regular",oxymoron,no ?