Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allen sklar

Sheeps Head stunned OC inlet

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Driving into Ocean City this morning I noted a huge number of gulls everywhere, the inlet was especially busy, but the bay too. Arriving at the inlet I noted the gulls were definitely eating something and it was sometimes too big to swallow as they were dropping a lot of fish. Turned out to be cold stunned/killed? Sheeps Head, spoke to Jason Mumford about it he said most likely the extended warm fall stopped the normal migration pattern...... as a bay charter fisherman he was very sad to see this but commented "thats nature"....

post-2389-0-63403900-1453235805_thumb.jpg

Not good to hear that but I am surprised sheepshead are still around. Have not heard of any tog fisherman catching any sheepshead recently. I guess sinnce tog season opened back up they are too lethargic to eat. Always can good good intel from the local fisherman who do it for a living when they are willing to share information. Always enjoy dealing with and talking to Jason.

John

That's a major bummer! Sheepshead have become my favorite fish to target in the inlet the last couple years.

I'm surprised they are still around too and I find this very interesting.

I'm  intrigued by the size of the fish. Were the fish you were seeing all about the same size as the fish in the picture? Looks like maybe 10" or so? In the short while I've been fishing for sheepshead, I've never caught one under 15". Or caught (or seen caught) one after mid-October. Even while fishing for tog in November in the same areas I catch sheepshead, I've never caught a stray sheepshead. But obviously some smaller ones must stick around, or be present, in the area despite not being caught. I didn't expect that they bred this far north, but maybe this area is more of nursery than I thought based on the size of the fish in the picture? I know this past summer was the first time I've ever caught juvenile sheepshead (<3") in my cast net. I ended up catching about a half-dozen or so that size. It was also the first summer I consistently caught eating size shrimp too though.

Thanks for sharing your observations, Allen!