Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joeg26er

Penn Squall 15 vs Daiwa Sealine-X SL-X20SHA

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi - not 100% happy with the slight roughness of my new penn 

Wondering if this Daiwa is comparable or better for quality / durability / casting distance?

Daiwa Sealine-X SL-X20SHA Ultra High Conventional Saltwater Reel

Hi - not 100% happy with the slight roughness of my new penn 

Wondering if this Daiwa is comparable or better for quality / durability / casting distance?

Daiwa Sealine-X SL-X20SHA Ultra High Conventional Saltwater Reel

Talk to us about this "roughness"? Penn uses a tougher gear train that has a little bit more "buzz" in the hand when brand new. Holds up better.

John is right, when harder metals are used in make the gearing of fishing reels, you will feel the metal gears as they mesh together, it is a good thing. ;)

You should feel my Komodo 350 which has a stainless steel main gear driving a stainless steel pinion.

hi John- 

the Squall 15 I have has a slight gear meshing feel and sound that is not consistent as the handle is turned. The sound gets a bit louder with a higher drag setting too.

I tried one at a bass pro and the noise was more consistent and the handle had slightly less travel / clunk when pulled/pushed on axis with the spool.

Get yourself a Saltsit, the silver ones are around the same price on bst and other sites as the penn. They are awesome reels and very smooth (quiet)

I will say that I love squalls, but, Saltists are hard to beat.

hi John- 

the Squall 15 I have has a slight gear meshing feel and sound that is not consistent as the handle is turned. The sound gets a bit louder with a higher drag setting too.

I tried one at a bass pro and the noise was more consistent and the handle had slightly less travel / clunk when pulled/pushed on axis with the spool.

Maybe it is time for a quick exchange.

I just picked up a squall 20LW for my dad and its defiantly rough around the edges and has a lot play in the handle and knob, haven't used it yet but just don't like the feel of it.