CaryGreene

Favorite Mackerel Lures/Plugs & How You Fish Them

Rate this topic

139 posts in this topic

Guys a question here at the risk of being a Debbie Downer.... How regularly do you see adults or tinks inshore where gamefish are feeding on them? Doesn't happen much by me. But used to be great mackerel runs many years ago. I suspect guys in cape and canal see this more often?

Great story cg ,I am also wondering the size of the inlines you use?

Oh and the story at the beginning, did you get at least one sip of that beer?

Hahaha, that beer, that's right!! You know, I never did get one sip of that bottle of suds. It's probably sittin on some sand dune man!

The hooks I'm using in all of the plugs VMC In Line Hooks, most are 3/0 or 5/0. The really small lures use 1/0 or 2/0 and no I have a big pile of 6/0 I found them to be mostly too big.

I have a GRS troller in mack. Nice plug catches well but a boar to cast. Northbar Bottle Darter for less than 20 bucks is a bargain and it's versatile in the snot as well as calm beach fronts.

Had some epic days with the bottle darter.

post-12713-0-93875600-1453252706.jpg

post-12713-0-59470300-1453252722.jpg

Guys a question here at the risk of being a Debbie Downer.... How regularly do you see adults or tinks inshore where gamefish are feeding on them? Doesn't happen much by me. But used to be great mackerel runs many years ago. I suspect guys in cape and canal see this more often?

You have to keep in mind John that some of us are very old! LOL! I think by and large though you're actually totally right inshore waters really don't support resident as Mackerel they are in open water species. You will mostly find them in the Cape Cod Canal or along the coast. Still from the lessons I've learned it's worth having a couple imitations around just in case - even in areas you don't expect to find them. Like I said maybe weather events can blow what they're feeding on into places they aren't normally found. The other thing too is it surprising what really lives in inshore waters.

I was watching the path of that extremely large great white shark the spring is it went up the coast into Long Island Sound past six mile reef and around, I mean imagine there are great white sharks in the Long Island Sound and most of us to fish it regularly really can't possibly believe that but it sure is true.

yes in august i saw some big ones in the canal.

Boston Outer Harbor the last 4 seasons has had a tremendous mack run. They don't go away like they use too and then come back in the fall. From Nahant to Quincy vector and beyond it's May-October.

Boston Outer Harbor the last 4 seasons has had a tremendous mack run. They don't go away like they use too and then come back in the fall. From Nahant to Quincy vector and beyond it's May-October.

That's very cool. Years ago down by me the spring mackerel run would usher is the beginning of tha bass and bluefish migration. We always could count on the blues a week or two after the macks. In a few instances they came in. Also one of my earliest and most memorable blitzes in the mid 70s was a tinker mackerel thing along the north jersey coast. I remember scooping up the tinkers and putting the in plastic bags to freeze them for fluke bait. My mom had a hissy fit when she looked in the freezer. Good times

Edited by JohnP