Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dannyplug1

HOW TO ATTACH MILK CRATE TO MY HOBIE

39 posts in this topic

Over this winter one of my projects was to make/ adapt a milk crate gear / rod holder for my kayak. I am at the stage where I am thinking of how to attach the crate to my boat. I was looking for suggestions and or advise. I was thinking I don't wan6t it so sold that it will tear holes in the hull if I roll the boat but not sure how to do it and have it solid enough to hold a surf rod (that I would use when I use the kayak to travel to other fishing locations). Thaks charlie

I have an outback I looked over other designs and have one I like but I need to figure out how to secure it to the boat any ideas?

The best design is no milk crate! We carry way too much stuff, I stay out on the water for 12 hours sometimes, and never miss it. Now Brad (Africaster) stays longer, you might want to ask him. IMO. Thanks RJ

The best design is no milk crate! We carry way too much stuff, I stay out on the water for 12 hours sometimes, and never miss it. Now Brad (Africaster) stays longer, you might want to ask him. IMO. Thanks RJ

I agree, i hate the milk crate.  This setup has worked well for me.

post-36845-0-78737900-1453249725_thumb.jpg

Edited by BradyMoss

I agree, no milk crate. I've learned to reduce the amount of crap I take.  I'd also advise no more than two rods for the same reason.  

I've also gotten rid of the crate. I found it was nothing more than a reason to carry way more than needed. Do a search and we have had a similar discussion before of down sizing.

I went to a thwart bag strapped to the back of my seat. I can carry two 3700 Plano boxes. I also went to a small triangle canoe bag for my hooks, jigs, rigs.

I yak light too.. But I have a pro angler and it seems like I should have more stuff with me...

I started out that way on my PA then realized how much heavier it became.  I'm getting too old for all that weight!   :howdy:

I yak light too.. But I have a pro angler and it seems like I should have more stuff with me...

Unless your a big guy, maybe you should downsize! A smaller yak, would be easier to launch from the surf and to transport. My son is one of Hobies reps in MN and he has had a PA-14 for years and is getting a Outback this year. When he visits jersey, he borrows a Revo 13 and loves launching it from the surf. He is 6' and 270lbs.

At first keep it simple, bungie cords. As you go out a few times then you can adjust until you have it figured out to do a more extensive fastening.

I agree, figure out what you need after a few trips. That said, this is the link to making a kayak crate from a few milk crates.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/331298-how-toostep-by-step-milk-crate-with-lid-instructionsposted-tue-nov-10-2009-456-pm/

Good luck.

when kayak fishing started gaining ground it seemed like everyone tried to fit as many tackleboxes and rods on the yak as possible. I know I am guilty of it- I carried 5 rods and 2 fly rods with me and my crate (yak attack blackpack) was running over with stuff. Now I bring 2 plano boxes and 2 rods and when hot a small cooler to keep my drinks and lunch and bait in.

I think the kayak fishing community is starting to adopt this method- almost like everyone forgot why they got a kayak in the first place.

Join the no milk crate revolution- it is liberating!

besides- how much of that crap do you actually use anyway?

I'm listening to everyone that said don't do anything till you have it on the water first and see what you really need....not even mounting rod holders..I hate cutter and love rigging and tackle but holding strong, I figure the less I have to do to get on the water the more I will enjoy it. The one upgrade I am seriously considering is the square hatch....looks like a great upgrade to keep your tackle out of the way and in front of you. GL