Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kevbo1756

Taking the jaws of a shark

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Just curious, a friend of mine asked me the other day if it was legal in NJ to catch a shark, keep it and take the jaws out for mounting purposes. I thought this was a good place to ask.

Is there any rule against this in NJ? I thought there was a 52 inch min to keep sharks in NJ but not sure about the rest of my questions.

The way I read the regs 1 shark more than 54" can be kept, but the list of shark species that can be kept is very limited. for example brown (sandbar) and sand tiger sharks, that are most common from the beach are federally protected and must be immediately released. If he wants a mount I recommend getting a charter for mako shark, which you can keep 1 and he will also get steaks that are as good as swordfish.

There are legal sharks and illegal sharks, not just on the size, but more so even by species.

Many are easily confused as well. Obviously the most favored are mako and thresher for eating. Mako and thresher are easily identified as well.

Most others you can catch in NJ are illegal to kill, no matter what the size. And many have subtle differenes between them.

Edited by bido

Mako meat is as good as it gets. I think the jaw would be to chewy so I have never kept a shark jaw. Never had a desire to keep a shark jaw but if you want to try it I would cook them low and slow and slather them in BBQ sauce.

Just curious, a friend of mine asked me the other day if it was legal in NJ to catch a shark, keep it and take the jaws out for mounting purposes. I thought this was a good place to ask.

Is there any rule against this in NJ? I thought there was a 52 inch min to keep sharks in NJ but not sure about the rest of my questions.

You don't mean kill it just for the jaws right?  You would use the whole shark correct?

You don't mean kill it just for the jaws right?  You would use the whole shark correct?

Yes - I don't go around killing for fun and neither does my friend who asked :) I'd imagine one that we could eat if we ever caught one  -   Any insight?

Yes - I don't go around killing for fun and neither does my friend who asked :) I'd imagine one that we could eat if we ever caught one  -   Any insight?

Good to hear.

Insight?  Cut them in to steaks and put on the grill with a little butter and lemon!  :drool: :drool: