Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tnsandlapper

Need help Penn reel for surf fishing.

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have half a dozen vintage Penn bait casting reels that I bought several years ago. One is a Penn Delmar No.285 in excellent condition. How should I set this reel up for surf fishing? What size and action rod. Line type and size and length? Weight type and size? Terminal setup?

I'm aware there are systems available that probably are a lot better than what I would have using this old Penn but I would get a lot of pleasure out of using this vintage reel to catch some fish.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I have half a dozen vintage Penn bait casting reels that I bought several years ago. One is a Penn Delmar No.285 in excellent condition. How should I set this reel up for surf fishing? What size and action rod. Line type and size and length? Weight type and size? Terminal setup?

I'm aware there are systems available that probably are a lot better than what I would have using this old Penn but I would get a lot of pleasure out of using this vintage reel to catch some fish.

Any comments would be appreciated.

The reason I'm asking for your help setting up this Penn reel is I am 74 years old, only get to the Coast or Gulf every three or four years. So I don't have the opportunity or the time left to gain the expertise a lot of you folks have.

I am not a Penn expert, but do have a little experience surf fishing.  I looked up the reel model you described and it does not appear to me designed for casting very far, at least compared to modern gear.  So, unless you plan to have one of your grandchildren paddle a shark bait out with a kayak (people actually do this), you might choose a different reel.

What are the alternatives among your Penn collection?

One reason you might not be getting many replies is that this is a boat reel and not a great choice for surf fishing.  It is mainly for dropping bait over the side of a boat or light trolling from what little I know.

I have a Penn 209 and a Penn 65, both are probably older than I am.  I am 47.  I love older reels as they are simplistic and less likely to break when things get tough.

I have tried to cast the Penn 65 with a surf rod but it doesn't do too well.  You could use it on a pier easily enough by just tossing your bait over the rail.

If you wanted to try and cast it.....15-20# mono on a 8-9' surf rod.  Shorter rods are easier to handle and learn on and you can use them easily enough on a pier.  Find one that is rated for 2-6 ounce range so you can bottom fish but still cast some weight as you will need that to get that reel to cast some distance.

If I were you, I would find a 209 or some other older Penn that is "castable."  I prefer the older Abu Garcia reels as they are easy to learn on and do not cost much.

I am not a Penn expert, but do have a little experience surf fishing.  I looked up the reel model you described and it does not appear to me designed for casting very far, at least compared to modern gear.  So, unless you plan to have one of your grandchildren paddle a shark bait out with a kayak (people actually do this), you might choose a different reel.

What are the alternatives among your Penn collection?

Thank you for your comment. My other Penn reels are a No.180, No.78, No.65, (2) No.85.I will probably end up using the reels for fishing for catfish from my pontoon boat here on the Tennessee River.

One reason you might not be getting many replies is that this is a boat reel and not a great choice for surf fishing.  It is mainly for dropping bait over the side of a boat or light trolling from what little I know.

I have a Penn 209 and a Penn 65, both are probably older than I am.  I am 47.  I love older reels as they are simplistic and less likely to break when things get tough.

I have tried to cast the Penn 65 with a surf rod but it doesn't do too well.  You could use it on a pier easily enough by just tossing your bait over the rail.

If you wanted to try and cast it.....15-20# mono on a 8-9' surf rod.  Shorter rods are easier to handle and learn on and you can use them easily enough on a pier.  Find one that is rated for 2-6 ounce range so you can bottom fish but still cast some weight as you will need that to get that reel to cast some distance.

If I were you, I would find a 209 or some other older Penn that is "castable."  I prefer the older Abu Garcia reels as they are easy to learn on and do not cost much.

Good comments. I may rig it up to fish off of the piers. Thank you.

hey tn, if you do want something for the beach, keep checking the bst forum, lot's of the older penn 704's pass through there,for the right price, great surf spinner for the money. pair that up with an off the shelf surf rod, and your good to go.