Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
runnsfromcops

shimano knob upgrade?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all. New to this part of the forum. Recently I've been gearing up to get back into more freshwater fishing. I picked up a Shimano Sahara 2500 to use and the reel feels good so far. The only complaint I have is the knob. I haven't seen much in the way of knob upgrades for this size reel on the inter-web, and have seen a handful of bearing upgrades on the handle. Has anyone done any DIY upgrades or experience upgrading these knobs?

Bend a L shape on paper clip. Insert it into the hole on the handle knob cap. Pull it off. If you see rivet ( flat screw with no slot ), you are screwed, you can only change out the whole handle or drill out the whole knob. If you see a screw head inside the knob cap, you are in business. Just unscrew it and the knob will come off for knob upgrade.

Stuu had asked the other day if i knew of any knobs to replace the T on the stella 3000 fi.

I checked and my metanium DC knobs fit as a direct replacement.

IF that handle is the same size as the stella.  It should be easy peasy.

you can see in the pic that I send him, that they are fully swapable.  msg-20363-0-23840800-1454268692.jpg

Stuu had asked the other day if i knew of any knobs to replace the T on the stella 3000 fi.

I checked and my metanium DC knobs fit as a direct replacement.

IF that handle is the same size as the stella.  It should be easy peasy.

you can see in the pic that I send him, that they are fully swapable.  msg-20363-0-23840800-1454268692.jpg

thanks for the advice! looking into handle sizes and compatibility. contacted shimano and will post if they write me back.

Scoob/Run,

Just an update on my knob search.

Since I was sending my reel to Shimano for service anyway, I asked if they could replace my T knob with an I shaped knob. They told me that if they have them in stock, they will call me and give me a price. They should have received my reel yesterday/today, so I will see what they say. If they don't have an fairly priced solution, I will consider one of the sources Scooby suggested.

70726f647563742f32303135303732365f343835

Or a fancy schmancy one.

Edited by Stuu

That's exactly what I use to replace the EVA foam knobs on the Stradic CI4s. I think they're called power grip II septon knobs. I might have a spare if you want.