side imaging, down imaging, fish finder

Rate this topic

bassturds

i want a new fish finder but would love it to be combo unit. 
dont have experience  SI or DI.  do i need both. or can SI do DI as well??

i was gona make this portable so i can bring it on my yak! but i need to stop using my yak in the big ponds  i fish! so i will be mounting this to my 10 foot aluminum!  this boat is also a car topper so it wont be completely mounted. i still have to remove it and bring it indoors when im done. also need to keep the transducer on clamp so i dont break it when draggin the boat.

any recomendations and tips would be greatly appriciated! 

Don't have experience with either one hands on, but last year I was perusing the various options that were on display at the local Bass Pro Shops and the sales guy essentially talked me out of the side imaging- basically saying it was useless for the applications I was looking for...which is typically from my boat in less than 15' of water.  he said that I might be able to get at the most ~100 to 150' of total coverage in the depths that I fish in.  At the end of the day I certainly don't cast any longer than that throwing unweighted sluggos and it should provide ample coverage for what I'd be looking to get out of it.

I was originally looking at the Humminbird 598 HD SI/DI/GPS, which appears to have been replaced with their new Helix series, which appears to have some refinements to it over the previous series, in addition to a lower cost for their entry level Helix models (the fully loaded Helix 5 SI/DI/GPS still comes in at a relatively palatable $499).  I've been eyeballing this model as my 10 year old monochrome fishfinder is showing its age and can certainly use a refresh.

Hopefully some guys have some feedback for you on here :th:

F Tombo

Sideimaging is definitely worth the extra money.  Imagine the body of water you fish is a dark room, traditional fish finder would be like a small flash light, sideimaging would be like turn on the ceiling light for that room.  Even if you fish a medium size pond, sideimaging would allow you to see all structures within 100ft to the left and right of you easily.  Even for small target such as Christmas tree someone dropped down or sunken boat.  If you fish large body of water with road bed and rock wall, try follow it with your traditional fish finder, you would have to zig zag across the structure to stay on course. Even then, you might miss some of the smaller changes.

Downimaging is a high definition image of the traditional sonar. Even my finder has that feature, I rarely use it at all. 

I have older side imaging (when it was a newer technology from Raytheon) and I found that I seldom used it.

I'm rarely looking for a fish...more for structure and this unit didn't give me that  in any detail.

Newer could be better  :shrug:

powerless

Portable mounting can be done easily DIY with PVC pipe, elbow, T connects. You can also buy the premade aluminum ones. 

I have older side imaging (when it was a newer technology from Raytheon) and I found that I seldom used it.

I'm rarely looking for a fish...more for structure and this unit didn't give me that  in any detail.

Newer could be better  :shrug:

lol, Usually the first question from someone who doesn't fish: Can you see fish with your fish finder? Or You see fish on your fishfinder, then drop the bait down?

Sideimaging is definitely worth the extra money. Imagine the body of water you fish is a dark room, traditional fish finder would be like a small flash light, sideimaging would be like turn on the ceiling light for that room. Even if you fish a medium size pond, sideimaging would allow you to see all structures within 100ft to the left and right of you easily. Even for small target such as Christmas tree someone dropped down or sunken boat. If you fish large body of water with road bed and rock wall, try follow it with your traditional fish finder, you would have to zig zag across the structure to stay on course. Even then, you might miss some of the smaller changes.

Downimaging is a high definition image of the traditional sonar. Even my finder has that feature, I rarely use it at all.

YES!!!!!!

I have a few places that are big and deep! I'm fishing blind out there my humming bird fishing buddy fish finder SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! I never mark anything!!!!

But these places are huge and I just have no idea what's out there in the deep!

I don't know how you would mount the side imaging transducers on a kayak. I have a $6,000 set up on my power boat and the transducers stick down about 4 inches.

Decided I'm going to stick it on my car topper! I do need to make it portable cuz I don't use a trailer for this boat and I drag it in the woods some times! Also to bring it inside as well so I don't ruin it while the boats out side in the yard. it's a 10 footer!

Sideimaging transducer has to be outside the boat, can't use through the hull.  You can use 3/4 PVC build your transducer arm mount.  

YES!!!!!!

I have a few places that are big and deep! I'm fishing blind out there my humming bird fishing buddy fish finder SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! I never mark anything!!!!

But these places are huge and I just have no idea what's out there in the deep!

Funny thing you mentioned fishing buddy, our first fishfinder when I first started, fish symbols everwhere and you can turn the handle to swivel the head to scan the side. lol  We thought we had hit the mother load on our maiden voyage. Long story short. We didn't catch jack, My buddy ended up throw the fishing buddy in the water out of frustration after 2 trips.   

Here is a a tip for better sidescan imaging, set the chart speed to your boat speed and go in a straight line. Shorter the scanning range = higher detail.  You'll spend more time on looking at the screen than fishing on your first trip.

I have a Humminbird 598 HD SI/DI/GPS mounted on my Ocean Kayak Torque. The transducer is mounted under my trolling motor. I fish many deep reservoirs,lakes and rivers. It works great. I also have a native kayak that I use it on. The transducer is mounted on a stick that I secure on the side rail once Im out in open water. Once you master the function. You wonder how and why You didnt get it earlier. The only downfall of mounting a side image FF on a kayak is that you must maintain 2mph for it to function. 

Edited by vce12342000

I live to fish. Not fish to live. 

I fish because things in my head tell me to.