Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
superstriper

diplomacy vs war

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I am always amazed at the quick call for war by some especially the hawk reps over the use of diplomacy

war should be a last resort not a first reaction.

I cant fathom how some are so quick to call for war with iran-Iraq war was over a decade long war-thousands of brave soldiers hurt or killed, trillions spent and it was the biggest cluster**** in the history of war-we are not one bit better from our experience there-now people want an encore performance vs a harder opponent. I dont get those that are preaching religion at the same time calling for mass death throughout the world.

I don't see anyone calling for war.  

I think we've all had about enough of that for now, don't you think?  

Not war in the sense of ground troops, and organized campaigns Jim, but Trump and Cruz certainly seem to want to stay heavily involved in Syria via the air.  Trump has also talked about seizing Syrian oil fields.  As you well know, you don't "seize" anything without people on the ground to take and hold it.

calling on us to bomb them is calling for war-that is what reps like cruz have done and are doing

A lot of things are said on the campaign trail in order to rile up those who are unhappy with our current administration. It is common practice among our politicians, once they get into office they realize it isn't as easy as once believed.

I'm not sure of the extent to which chants for decisive military action NOW!  should be taken seriously.  Some people may be serious.  More people are probably just expressing a loathing for Obama, who doesn't talk the good tuff talk that's so beloved by many.  Eddy made an interesting comment awhile ago about the Iran nuclear deal; even if it's a good deal, it has to be opposed because Obama did it. A lot of people probably feel the same way.

I don't know to what extent The Donald's supporters are actually paying attention to his stated intentions. Taking Syrian oil fields away from ISIS means a considerable number of boots on the ground, indefinitely, with lots of enemies around (some of whom would make common cause to kill us) and not even a hint of a political resolution that might end the matter.  Bombing this-or-that is popularly perceived as somehow short of military action, I don't know why. 

Trump's popularity suggests to me that while President George W. Bush's name may currently be unpopular, his tough talk and his disdain for the limitations of building political coalitions are still pretty popular within the GOP.

You confuse strength with warmongering.  Orwell famously said that "the easiest way to stop a war is to surrender." 

None of us know what happened to those two boats, were they were, why they were captured, any of the circumstances.  But if they were close to a line on a map and say Reagan, Bush 1, Bush II or Nixon had been president, maybe the Iranians would have thought twice about approaching them.  Notice, there was not any fighter or warship cover for these boats.  Why was that??  Why were the Special Ops troops in Benghazi told to stand down?

Obama is driven by a visceral dislike for the "white West".  He was raised with that philosophy, heard it for 20 years in his "church", gave the bust of Churchill back to the Brits, dissed the Royals, and the Charlie Hebdo French, has seriously damaged our relations with Israel and kissed up to "non-white" dictators who have hated us for decades, see Cuba and Iran.

We are currently viewed as paper sheep by the world where that may be important.  Would you trust the USA to help if you were S. Korea, Japan, Taiwan, the Phillipines, Israel, Egypt, Poland, etc.??  I would not.

America sucks at both diplomacy and war.  

Take your pick out of any administration of the past few, and tell me where the success has been at either?

Not to draw too fine a line SFF, but Iraq (even if a 1/4 of it is ruled by ISIS, Obama's fault) is STILL a democracy as far as I know.  We will see how they evolve.

A lot of things are said on the campaign trail in order to rile up those who are unhappy with our current administration. It is common practice among our politicians, once they get into office they realize it isn't as easy as once believed.

The problem being that, to some people, words mean something. If they change their tune after the nominations, I'm not gonna' forget what they said earlier.

On a foreign policy/war basis, it's Rubio I have the least stomach for. He wants the US involved everywhere. Pure neocon. Pax Americana enforced by the US military.

The problem being that, to some people, words mean something. If they change their tune after the nominations, I'm not gonna' forget what they said earlier.

On a foreign policy/war basis, it's Rubio I have the least stomach for. He wants the US involved everywhere. Pure neocon. Pax Americana enforced by the US military.

Hillary is the biggest neocon running.  Don't fool yourself.