Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rachel Marie

Sinking Hollow Fleyes

10 posts in this topic

I was asked to make a few display flies and one sinking hollow fly for project healing waters Vietnam vets . The Sinking Hollow is to be fished and tied by the members. They specifically asked for it to be weighted with a bead. You can use several beads if you'd like in between hollow tied collars which conceal the weight . With this one being a stocked pond fly I just went with one bead feeling it would be plenty and keep it easy to cast. Wrapping lead is another way and probably the easiest. The display flies are suppose to be a Rainbow and Brown trout. post-53127-0-68357700-1453194756_thumb.jpgpost-53127-0-16925300-1453194773_thumb.jpgpost-53127-0-22068400-1453194793_thumb.jpgpost-53127-0-43704300-1453194821_thumb.jpg

Andrew,

Kind of an unrelated question but why not use single strand stainless steewire in size 5 or maybe larger like size 12 for hollow body extended body beast flies instead of monofilament nylon?

Joel

Andrew,

Kind of an unrelated question but why not use single strand stainless steewire in size 5 or maybe larger like size 12 for hollow body extended body beast flies instead of monofilament nylon?

Joel

The mono will give added action.

If you wanted a stiff back single strand titanium wire is pretty rigid and thin unlike the stainless.

The only real reason the bead was used over lead wire was it was specifically ask for. You can use any form of weight you'd like. The bead surly is the easiest . All you do is slide them over the barb and position as you tie . On bigger hooks you will need to use bigger beads or flatten the barb a touch. With today's micro barb hooks it should work just fine.

The Beast extension using mono is the best way to attach the extended bodies. The mono is flexible , won't kink , easy to work with , readily available and is the original design. I recently used the shanks and did not see any benefits to using them. It is actually once learned, faster to spin the bobbin by hand . The mono extension does not add action. Once thread , material and glue is applied they are pretty stiff , not flexible enough to add noticeable action to the fly that I have seen. The one clear thing that can be done to add significantly more action is bulking up just the head of the beast while leaving the body and tail sparse. So in other words a slow gradual adding of fiber from the tail will increase the movement from what I have seen.

DOES anyone have the original posts made by Bob Pop that showed pictures of lead beads and or lead wire being used for weight on hollow Fleyes ? Please contact me if you can find or have them marked. I would like to pass along the pics and link to Bob. THANKS!

Super tyes Andrew, I have some powered tungsten to mix with epoxy to make a heavy coating to the shank that may work......I'll have to give it a try this winter.

Posted (edited)

DOES anyone have the original posts made by Bob Pop that showed pictures of lead beads and or lead wire being used for weight on hollow Fleyes ? Please contact me if you can find or have them marked. I would like to pass along the pics and link to Bob. THANKS!

Here ya go.

Nice Hollows RM

leadbead1.jpg

Lead bead in forward section and a spun deerhair section between first and second tie

BobPop

>=====(*>

POP FLEYES

Edited by fshng2