jhawley45

striped bass tagging

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Anyone who has caught a striped bass with a tag in it I'm sure notices how red and infected the area is surrounding the tag .

Seems like a win/lose situation.

What are your thoughts on this?

I caught this striper in the canal this past summer. I kept it for consumption. I called the number on the tag. This stripped bass came from maryland area were it was tagged. The folks also sent me a hat and certificate.

post-70441-0-15808900-1453204312_thumb.jpg

Not the case when DART TAGS are used. Less intrusive or harmful to the fish after tagging. I've seen some hack jobs and infected sores with the loop style though.

post-787-0-53337300-1453212726_thumb.jpg

Edited by NIGHT STRIKES

The only way anyone catches a tagged fish is the fish is moving and feeding. So tags don't bother fish all that much. The dart tags are short lived compared to the ones that make a loop.

If anyone else has any questions about tagging I'd be happy to answer them. If you look at the info below \/ down there \/ you will see I have some qualifications.

Peace

The only way anyone catches a tagged fish is the fish is moving and feeding. So tags don't bother fish all that much. The dart tags are short lived compared to the ones that make a loop.

If anyone else has any questions about tagging I'd be happy to answer them. If you look at the info below \/ down there \/ you will see I have some qualifications.

Peace

Thank you for the input red!

I once caught a tagged schoolie in the Sandwich area of Cape Cod, that had the tag in the belly, but had about a foot of weed or some other growth trailing from it...seemed like the wrong way to do it...the tag in that case was from the Littoral Society (I think that's located in Sandy Hook, but recall getting info back from them that the fish was actually only tagged a short distance from there, in the Onset area...basically it cruised through the canal before it met me:-))

I once caught a tagged schoolie in the Sandwich area of Cape Cod, that had the tag in the belly, but had about a foot of weed or some other growth trailing from it...seemed like the wrong way to do it...the tag in that case was from the Littoral Society (I think that's located in Sandy Hook, but recall getting info back from them that the fish was actually only tagged a short distance from there, in the Onset area...basically it cruised through the canal before it met me:-))

I didn't think any fish were tagged in the belly by ALS, I could be wrong. All of the fish I have tagged have been tagged between the back fin and the tail.

In a shameless bid to add a couple of returned tags to my total , I just have to ask any one who reads this thread to go to your boat, truck, or tackle box and get that tag you took off a fish and send it in. This link should help, http://www.littoralsociety.org/index.php/report-a-tagged-fish

Peace

How long have you been tagging Red?

What was the longest distance recorded for the fish you did tag?

I have been at it for over 25 years, my information is up north and I am not. I do believe I have had at least one from Maine and at least one from the Carolinas. Most are recaught within the first year. It averages out to around fifty fish tagged to get one return. Tagging is something that slows you down but makes the release more interesting.

Peace

It would be interesting to find the distance that the fish has traveled.  Did they stay inshore or head for deeper water.

My apologies , thought that you may know about the info gathered. 

Thank you for your response. Very interesting

It would be interesting to find the distance that the fish has traveled.  Did they stay inshore or head for deeper water.

My apologies , thought that you may know about the info gathered. 

Thank you for your response. Very interesting

Jeanz and any one else that would like more detailed information I would have you use this e-mail link jeff@littoralsociety.org and direct your inquiries to Jeff the director of the tagging program. I am not a paid spokesperson I am just a member who thinks tagging is an added enjoyment to surfcasting.

I am still open to any, How to and what works questions.

Peace

Jeanz and any one else that would like more detailed information I would have you use this e-mail link jeff@littoralsociety.org and direct your inquiries to Jeff the director of the tagging program. I am not a paid spokesperson I am just a member who thinks tagging is an added enjoyment to surfcasting.

I am still open to any, How to and what works questions.

Peace

What he says here.  Something else to do out there.  Thanks Red