Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kml

Right handed semi lefty shooter

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I am poking around the gun shop today. Have an itch for something just didn't know what.

A beretta 12 ga semi is one I have wanted for a while and like the feel and all that.

I mostly shoot clays and have a good o/u for that so my son would use the semi most days.

The reason I left empty handed is that he is a lefty and I was wondering if the ejection is a big distraction for a lefty shooter using a righty gun.

Anyone have any experience with this?

When I got home and thought about it I probaby should have just bought it, F him he can get his own gun ;)

I am poking around the gun shop today. Have an itch for something just didn't know what.

A beretta 12 ga semi is one I have wanted for a while and like the feel and all that.

I mostly shoot clays and have a good o/u for that so my son would use the semi most days.

The reason I left empty handed is that he is a lefty and I was wondering if the ejection is a big distraction for a lefty shooter using a righty gun.

Anyone have any experience with this?

When I got home and thought about it I probaby should have just bought it, F him he can get his own gun ;)

You just have to go try them.  I am a lefty and I have never had a shotgun that I remember that was a bother, I also have an 1100.

Some handguns can feel odd.  Its always the meat below your left index finger for me, its in a bad place-slide release will nip you.

I have an older buddy who's a lefty.

He shoots auto shotguns with no issues.

With rifles he's adapted and primarily hunts with a 760 pump and a Savage 99.

I talked him into buying a LH Savage 22 mag bolt gun with the Accu-trigger which he loves for varmints, but this just got him hankering for a lesser recoiling LH bolt gun to deer hunt with.

I kept looking around and my Son and I bought him a sweet LH 700 in .243 for Christmas.

We sighted it in this weekend and after all these years of adapting he looked like a monkey trying to **** a football trying to work with that LH bolt gun.

I am a lefty and shoot berettas.  Nice thing about them is that you can adjust the cast of the stock appropriately for a lefty.  Not sure about the newer ones, but the 390, 391 series it was also easy to turn the safety around the correct way to shoot left.  Not so much a problem with the empty shell but smoke and unburnt powder can be problematic from time to time.

Some of the lefty shotguns are ridiculous.  I think it is the Benelli's that have the chamber eject/open on the left, but the button to close the chamber is still on the right side of the receiver.  Not quite the elegant fix you are looking for.

We sighted it in this weekend and after all these years of adapting he looked like a monkey trying to **** a football trying to work with that LH bolt gun.

I dont think I have ever fired a LH bolt.

I have...this one, but I fired it RH. Truthfully with a modern bolt gun (bolt handle swept down out of the way) I'm not sure what's the big deal.

Actually I had a Panda with a LH port/ RH bolt...much easier at the bench.

I also bought an ENFIELD 1917 that had a very nice LH stock with a high comb.

Thankfully there was enough excess wood that I modified it into a RH stock without the rollover.

This old fella has been using a 760 for years firing it LH. Truthfully that or a 740 would make me a little nervous with hot brass flying past my nose and open shirt collar.