Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobber

Trev Gowdy is a tool

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I happened to catch the show "monster fish" this morning..... The title got my attention- Montauk Stripers(!) Now I've gotten to the point where fishing shows just bore me or piss me off with all the advertising BS and I had little hope this was gonna be any different. I missed the first few minutes of the program but joined in where ol' Trev was wailing on a big bass ( no surprise there) as the guide was backing down on the fish. The story continued wither saying how great they were doing catching all these whoppers on live sand dabs and 20 POUND MONO. Next up was footage off all the beak offs they had- and Trev saying how he was bored with just catching big bass with heavy braided line and that he was re-energized about using this technique

wherre to begin with all the problems I have with this show......

They used weighted trebles on their baits and left countless big fish (likely gut hooked) swimming around with big hooks in their face/mouth/stomachs unnecessarily by using line that was way to light.

And- the fish they actually did land were fought way too long as a result......

And poor Trev is so tired of catching big bass (with a guide to actually catch the bait and drive the boat, and oh yeah- Actually know where the fish are- he needs to make things more entertaining by crippling what few decent fish that are left

And he goes into a tackle shop to re-spool with fresh mono for every single trip- yes... He says you need to put on new line every day you go fishing(??)

This guy is such an @ss- if his father wasn't Curt Gowdy he'd be washing dishes for a living......

Sounds pretty irresponsible if what you say happened.

Sounds pretty stupid to say you don't like catching bass on braid....then proceed to pop off fish after fish.

Use line that is strong enough to not break during a surge or end game....but scale down the tackle......duh.....

It's no flippin different to say...i don't like fishing for big fish with a palomar knot so i use a clich.   

Fishing shows......ughh....

Put me on one of those things...I'll spend the time showing the how toos not the oooh look another fish that i can see caught on one of 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 youtube channels.

I happened to catch the show "monster fish" this morning..... The title got my attention- Montauk Stripers(!) Now I've gotten to the point where fishing shows just bore me or piss me off with all the advertising BS and I had little hope this was gonna be any different. I missed the first few minutes of the program but joined in where ol' Trev was wailing on a big bass ( no surprise there) as the guide was backing down on the fish. The story continued wither saying how great they were doing catching all these whoppers on live sand dabs and 20 POUND MONO. Next up was footage off all the beak offs they had- and Trev saying how he was bored with just catching big bass with heavy braided line and that he was re-energized about using this technique

wherre to begin with all the problems I have with this show......

They used weighted trebles on their baits and left countless big fish (likely gut hooked) swimming around with big hooks in their face/mouth/stomachs unnecessarily by using line that was way to light.

And- the fish they actually did land were fought way too long as a result......

And poor Trev is so tired of catching big bass (with a guide to actually catch the bait and drive the boat, and oh yeah- Actually know where the fish are- he needs to make things more entertaining by crippling what few decent fish that are left

And he goes into a tackle shop to re-spool with fresh mono for every single trip- yes... He says you need to put on new line every day you go fishing(??)

This guy is such an @ss- if his father wasn't Curt Gowdy he'd be washing dishes for a living......

Sounds like an irresponsible punk!

Fresh quality 20# mono aint gonna break that easy. Matter of fact it shouldn't break at all on any bass used correctly. Either the line was shot, his gear was damaging the line, he had no clue what he was doing or all of the above. Very un~professional.

I Justus's the episode on my DVR. Been watching him and Dahlberg for years because they fish for big fish and with big tackle. I thnk he was out of his element with this show.

I agree trebles and 20# line is a recipe for disaster to the fish. You'd think flounders are perfect candidates for bridalling. Why ole school trebles?

The technique of easing the drag to make fish swim away from structure is used with groupers and often successful but those fish are heading home. Why not go with heavy braid and ease up on the drag until they are way from the structure and then put the screws to them and get them in quick.

What's up with the Boga hold. Doesn't that dislocate their jaw? Is that not what the science shows us. Perhaps it's time Stripers get the same protection as tarpon and goliaths in Florida. No removing the fish from the water. Obviously with Stripers that would be any not destined for the dinner plate.

That's not the Trev I've been watching.

Edited by Garriga

The whole show just pissed me off.... This guy has his whole persona defined by the fish that he has paid other guides to put him on- and now he's bored with it all

What a douche

The guys a stooge but that's some gig he's got. Show up wherever & reel in big fish. Guides almost every time. I saw a guide hand him a rod with a hooked fish (top water yellowfin I think) like you do with your kids. Like its some honor to have this jag catch fish on tv but I guess that's how it works. To be fair I saw him drive his own boat up to an offshore rig & drop down live bait to huge jacks, not that that's all together hard. But yeah, lots of aggrandizement from the host about the host by the host. Not my dude.

Dahlberg is the dude :th:

Worked an all nighter yesterday and had more than a few beers tonight in an effort to get back on my regular schedule, but not enough to accidentally stumble into da Main....

Conservation is the most important thing. Engaging in behavior that hurts a species long-term, is not ethical behavior. If this nimrod Trev Gowdy did that, then he deserves to be chastized. If his dad Curt was still with us, he'd have the kid over his knee, and give him a smack or two.