Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twistedfish

Smallest reel for rooster fish from surf

14 posts in this topic

What is the smallest recommended reel for surf fishing for Roosterfish? Is the Saltiga 4000H or Saltist 4500 large enough?

Thanks for the help.

What is the smallest recommended reel for surf fishing for Roosterfish? Is the Saltiga 4000H or Saltist 4500 large enough?

Thanks for the help.

Its not so much the size or the drag as much as it is inchers per turn on the retrieve. The fastest possible reel should be used and the Saltist 6500 has been the go to since it has been out.

There is no such thing as too fast for Roosters and is the difference between getting bit or not. 

Minimum is going to be decided by the fish. Little ones, no big deal...but big ones will run a hundred yards or more pulling a real 15lbs of drag.

Do a search for posts from High Plains Drifter.  He has documented quite a bit pertaining to exactly what you're looking for.

Additionally shoot Levari a PM.  He has had some success as well. 

Picking their brains would be a good place to start

Posted (edited)

Went on two charters while in Costa Rica last month and the captain had Penn 6500SS reels on average boat rods. We landed a few around 60 pounds with no problems. The reels you mentioned will have their work cut out for them with fish of that size, but who doesn't like a challenge?

Edited by Seadogg

from my experience...most of the fish you will catch, that will be plenty...but like what was said before...look for high retrieve rate...I took my 6500 for that BIG FISH...but I never saw the bottom half of my spool...

As mentioned .... Retrieve rate is very important for two reasons .... Burning a lure and keeping in contact with the fish during a run towards the beach. Spool diameter is important for distance almond with small diameter line. Drag cannot be overlooked .... Smooth and powerful ... I used a Saltiga 5000 and landed about a fifty from the beach and the drag was red hot ... Drag stayed smooth.

Went on two charters while in Costa Rica last month and the captain had Penn 6500SS reels on average boat rods. We landed a few around 60 pounds with no problems. The reels you mentioned will have their work cut out for them with fish of that size, but who doesn't like a challenge?

Casting from the beach or boat is all about high speed retrieves, generally. If you slow troll live baits then Roosters are tough fighters, but you only need about 10-15lbs of drag and 300 yards of line.

Sounds like the Saltiga 5500 is a perfect match. High IPT and great drag system plus it's not too heavy to cast all day.

Thanks for the help.  I'll probably end up with a Saltist 4500 or 5000.  I do like the Saltiga but not sure I can justify the cost for only a trip or two a year.  Most of the year i'm striper fishing in the Chesapeake bay and a 5000 or bigger reel is just more reel than needed.    

Posted (edited)

Forgive me, but how would either casting or trolling dictate how a fish is going to fight or how much line/drag you need? If anything, it seems that you'd need a bigger reel when trolling, especially when you consider the bait/lure is up to a few hundred feet behind the boat to begin with. Since we landed a few 60 pounders on old 6500's, I'd have no reservations about catching them on a more modern reel of slightly smaller proportions.

The larger reel returns more line with each crank of the handle which is the critical characteristic. All of the Saltist from the 5000 to the 6500 use the same reel body so any of them will do at 53" IPT. Which of those one chooses is not so important. But it is much better than a slow reel like the Penn 6500SS which is probably closer to 36" at most and is marginal from the beach.

Trolling, the retrieve rate doesn't matter at all (generally lower is better) but casting Cabo Killers or Roberts Rangers (the most effective lures known) for Roosters the retrieve is done as fast as the angler can manage....for hours on end. Basically you stop fishing when you can't take any more, and the faster reel catches you more fish by being both faster like the fish want and an effort saver (you don't have to reel as fast to get bit).

In my experience catching dozens of Roosters over the last 30 years I haven't had to slow troll live baits so far behind the boat (maybe 100-120 feet max) and so YES, then small reels are perfectly fine. But from the beach people in Cabo and at Rancho Leonero use legit 12-13' rods and are casting 100+ yards so I like something that holds 400 yards of 65# (Stella 18K). 

You can catch a fish with all kinds of things, we are just talking about what seems ideal to me at this time.

Edited by johndtuttle

once you step up to the reel body size and gear with 53 IPT, the only difference is spool size....the smaller spool size in terms of line capacity(5000) actually weighs a tad more than the 6500....I guess the metal on the spool weighs more than the line on the spool.

wish there was a way to get that 53 IPT on the 4500 size reel...im sure the gurus out there could do it

Having had a shoulder issue(finally had it fixed) I have been using a 10' Albright travel rod in Cabo for probably 5 years.  I might not get that extra 15 yards some guys are getting but it works for me.  I can cast a ranger (2.5 oz) a country mile.  It is paired up with a Saltist 6500 which I am also very happy with.

Cabo