Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gray gables

Metal bending brake ?

9 posts in this topic

I got one for free years ago, pretty beat up. I've had it in my basement for the last year or so because I planned on rebuilding it. Well I priced out the parts and they came to about 700 an change. It's a tapco brake, a well known brand. Just curious if it's worth spending 700 on a brake that's probably 15 years old or so or buy a brand new one for 1500.00. 

for $250 you can get the basic tune up if it applies to your model. I wound up going that route.

A couple hours, some basic tools, and it was back in business.

Depends how much you are going to use it.... I don't do vinyl siding (hate the stuff) so really don't have need of  brake. I have one available in a buddy's auto body shop isf the need comes up for a bend or two. $700 would pay for a lot of rentals of a brake IMO. Throw it up on craigslist

yeah, it's a tough call. Anytime I've needed to bend metal I go down to harvey industries and use there brake which they have set up in the back for guys like me. I don't do a crapload of metal bending that's why I posted this question. If the parts cost me 500 I'd do it. But 3 parts that I really need cost over 600. I'll have to think about this for a bit. 

Me either. I have an 8'6 perfect for windows and doors. If you have one at your disposal, then why not punt it.

Me either. I have an 8'6 perfect for windows and doors. If you have one at your disposal, then why not punt it.

the one I have is a tapco pro 3 10'6" model. My dad got it on one of his jobs, homeowner said a former contractor left it there and said he could have it. The working hinge is all marked up from guys cutting metal on it,smh. Also the throat is bent on the left hand side so I can't bend full pieces of metal. How you bent that fixed piece is beyond me. 

update on this post. I spent about 250 on parts and it's like I have a brand new brake. I'm happy with what I did. I was able to save about 400 an change on not ordering 2 parts. The fixed hinge and the working hinge. I bought a wire wheel and used my drill bit and smoothed out the bad parts on them. I replaced all the rusty bolts with new ones, maybe 25$ in fasteners. 99% done with it, glad I did it. 

I got one for free years ago, pretty beat up. I've had it in my basement for the last year or so because I planned on rebuilding it. Well I priced out the parts and they came to about 700 an change. It's a tapco brake, a well known brand. Just curious if it's worth spending 700 on a brake that's probably 15 years old or so or buy a brand new one for 1500.00. 

go to riverhead building supply did mine for 200