Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stroipaHuntah

Fly Line Recommendations

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am relatively new to the fly fishing game.  Caught my first bass last year and I want to catch a whole lot more this season.  I fish from shore and boat.  I like to go from shore in back bays until June really.  I also want to catch albies on the fly as they don't seem to like my spinning offerings and the fly guys seem to kill it. My current setup is a TFO Lefty Kreh series 9 weight.  I have two spools and had an intermediate and floating setup.  They are about 6 years old and it's time for new line.

I am sort of intimidated by the amount of line options out there, and I'd like some recommendations.  Typically fishing in water less than 10 feet, in the long island sound.  I am a decent caster but really struggle in the wind, like everyone I imagine.  Also seem to be struggling with larger flies, but getting the hang there.  At a casting demo I tried a line and I was amazed at how much it seems the technology has changed.  I was casting a ridged line with a lot of texture, and I believe it was weight forward.  I seemed to really be able to really shoot that line with some distance.  

Give me some good options here, so I don't get fleeced at the tackle shops.  At the same time, I am willing to pay good money for something that is really worth the dough.  I just want to have some options and background before I head into a shop and the notorious fly guy at my shop starts telling me what to get.  

Help is much appreciated.

Tight lines, t minus 3 months till they start feeding in my neck of the woods at least.

Lot's of good choices out there.  Here is a list, in no particular order, from a recent thread..

The Ridge line you mentioned  is made by Scientific Angler I believe

1. Air-Flo Cold Blue Polyfuse Cold Water Intermediate

2. Orvis Hydos cold water intermediate

3. Airflo Cold Striper

4. Rio Outbound Short

5 Wulff Triangle taper

Sierra trading post had a pretty good deal on the Sci angler lines a month or so ago I got two for 60 bucks. The BST on this site has some good stuff pass through once in a while also.

Maybe I'm just getting old but the line prices today are a little nuts. I will not pay full price. Keep an eye out this time of year and grab a couple when you see a good deal.

I am a big fan of the Air-flo Ployfuse Clear  Blue Cold Water Intermediate line, it is the Ridge line and it has already been mentioned by a couple of the previous posters and for good reason, it is a great line. I know everyone likes a bargain but this line retails for around $80 and to me it is worth it since I usually get 4 to 5 seasons and I fish a ton each year.from I have been using this line since it first came came onto the market . 

The TFO rod you have would match up with the 9 weight Air-flo perfectly.

Just picked up the rio outbound short at cabelas after Christmas sale for $39.88. Only used it in the backyard so far but it tosses large flies effortlessly. The wind in my backyard is nothing like being on a beech but it did cut through what wind i did have with ease. So far I'm very impressed with it but I will have to see how it behaves in the wild.

What fly line weight would you recommend with a TFO TiCrX 5 wt. Do they cast better with a 5 wt or 6 wt. I was thinking Rio Outbound and Airflow

+10 on the Airflo ridge.  I LOVE this line.  I have used it on slower rods like the TFO and super fast rods like my NRX and Helios 2 and have loved it on them all.  Fishing Newport and Jamestown my fly lines see a lot of course rock and from time to time I step on them and mash them into said rock.  The Airflo in my experience has been the most durable as well.  Supple, cast great and durable.  As close to perfection as I have found.  Well worth the $80, I own a bunch of them.

What fly line weight would you recommend with a TFO TiCrX 5 wt. Do they cast better with a 5 wt or 6 wt. I was thinking Rio Outbound and Airflow

If you need to slow it down a bit you could do a 6wt.  With the Outbound or Outbound short stay with the 5, those lines are already heavier than traditional lines.

One of the things about the Airflo lines that seems to make them more durable than other lines is that they do not use PVC in their coatings which in other lines, especially over time, get soft and tacky.  It's the plasticizers  and chemical lubricants that are in the PVC mix that do that.  Airflo lines are made without PVC, use a different type of line lubrication, and the coating on Airflo lines is also (big benefit) impervious to DEET.

This is the first time I have ascertained that a couple of you folks (Dick especially) also prefer the ridged versions of the Airflo Cold Saltwater lines.  The earlier non-ridged versions of these lines are also pretty good, and can be found at UK Tackle Bargains website for around $12 plus shipping ($25 total).  I have both and slightly prefer the ridged versions (the ridges add around 5-10' to my cast all else being equal).

The TiCrx rod series can be heavily overlined.  Try a 6 or even 7 weight Airflo line on that TiCrx.  If you go with Rio Outbound lines, use the rated line as these are already over by 2+ line weights.

Edited by Killiefish

Killiefish, I have to agree with you about the durability factor on the Air-Flo line, I wish all fly lines lasted that long.

I also have a TiCrX in the 8 weight and use  9 on it, a match made in heaven.with the Air-Flo I am not sure if the Ridge lines are a half or one full weight over the line weight designation

The Ridge I believe was a Air-Flo innovation but if I could get them to change back to the smooth finish I would love it. The Ridge over time likes to wear a groove in your finger but with a stripping guard of some sort on your finger then it is not a issue to be concerned about.

BFD I saw these on tackle Bargin

Airflo Velocity fly line

The Velocity Fly Line range form Airflo have been designed to deliver all the quality and reliability of a top leel line, with the versatility and value of an entry level. With its user friendly taper design, the long rear taper allows the line to grow with you as you improve and increase your casting range.

2 for the

price of one Ever see these?

Edited by ccb

I am a big fan of the Air-flo Ployfuse Clear  Blue Cold Water Intermediate line, it is the Ridge line and it has already been mentioned by a couple of the previous posters and for good reason, it is a great line. I know everyone likes a bargain but this line retails for around $80 and to me it is worth it since I usually get 4 to 5 seasons and I fish a ton each year.from I have been using this line since it first came came onto the market . 

The TFO rod you have would match up with the 9 weight Air-flo perfectly.

Dick, the version I just received from Tackle Bargains UK is the non-ridged, Polyfuse XT clear blue (cold/saltwater) intermediate line (in 8w).  At the price, can't beat it.  Should last several seasons.  I have the ridged version as well.  Both are great lines.  I have tough fingers so have not had problems with the ridge lines.  Only issue with ridge lines I've had is they get dirtier a bit faster but that's mainly true of the floating lines, not the intermediate for some reason.   The newer ridged version costs $65-80 new in the U.S.

Has anybody tried the Rio Power Fly? I'v been looking at that one myself as I am also a fairly new fly fisherman and wanted to know if that is as good as casting big deer hair bass bugs far like it says it does.. The Rio Outbound Short is my second choice... It would be for a 7 wt Sage One, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

- Collin

Edited by Collin

Lot's of good choices out there. Here is a list, in no particular order, from a recent thread..

The Ridge line you mentioned is made by Scientific Angler I believe

1. Air-Flo Cold Blue Polyfuse Cold Water Intermediate

2. Orvis Hydos cold water intermediate

3. Airflo Cold Striper

4. Rio Outbound Short

5 Wulff Triangle taper