Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Fisherman

Call all electricians: Why won't my garage lights turn on?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Here's what I have: the garage inside lights won't switch on.

Facts: the garage has power. The doors open, the outlets work, the outside lights work, the circuit breaker is not tripped, the light bulbs are all good.

Thoughts?

TIA

No, they are standard issue bulbs. My best educated guess is a bad switch somewhere. There are two switches that turn the lights on/off, one in the garage, one in the mudroom.

This can be a big help troubleshooting. Start at the light socket, down to switches. Who knows with cold weather upon us,mice couldve moved in unknowing and chewed something.

post-9721-0-58167800-1453160547_thumb.jpg

Just got one of them do dads to trouble shoot an outdoor gfi outlet. It is cold out so I wanted to save time. Got one of those breaker finders too. Very useful on both tools.

Don't know why it took me so long.

Just got one of them do dads to trouble shoot an outdoor gfi outlet. It is cold out so I wanted to save time. Got one of those breaker finders too. Very useful on both tools.

Don't know why it took me so long.

Me either , got tired of touching hot wires I guess!

There is a better one on the market thats in my truck. It reads low voltage as well.

What you have is three way switches. One switch will interrupt power or electricity and the other switch interrupts the power coming from the first switch . On the first switch you should have power on two of the screws and on the second switch you should have power on two screws also. One switch the center screw is coming from the breaker and on the other switch the center screw is going to the load the bulb.     THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE SWITCH THAT IS USED THE MOST!!!!!

Edited by sytheteacher

. There are two switches that turn the lights on/off, one in the garage, one in the mudroom.

Could one of the switches be down line from a GFI circuit that has tripped?

Are you using cfl's or led bulbs. I've had a few spots in my house where an older socket is deeper than what these new bulbs bases are designed for. Older incandescent bulbs have a little bit of a longer shaft where the thread meets the glass. The newer bulbs have a shoulder that prevents the bulb from going all the way down. Make sure power is off and slightly bend up the tab in the socket. Before doing all that find a standard incandescent bulb that works and try it in said socket.

Edited by i07nyc

If the house was built in the 90's, look for an outlet near the panel if its in the garage. You'll usually find the main GFI there and that could be tripped.

If not I agree with the overused three way