Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperSurg

Smelt

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

It's getting to be that time of year again, anyone know if any of the smelt shack operators, have put out any shacks yet?

Thinking the ice should be getting decent by now. 

Jim's in Bowdoinham just started putting shacks out today. Might be a shorter season because of the late ice. I hope to go up there at least twice this year.

Jim's in Bowdoinham just started putting shacks out today. Might be a shorter season because of the late ice. I hope to go up there at least twice this year.

Interesting, didn't know they were as set back as far from the Kennebec proper as they are.  Worthington's didn't have anything out as of Wednesday, but they're right on the open river.

Is this usually pretty much fast action fishing or more of a social event?

I prefer to go on a weekday at night when there's less crowd and noise. The weekend crowd can be a circus and more of a booze fest.

Anyone recommend a smelt shack operator? Any idea what a night on the ice would run you (I have no equipment). Thanks.

http://www.maine.gov/dmr/recreational/smeltcamps/index.htm

Really evening you need is supplied, Mabey just something to put the smelt in should you catch any.

Depending on how busy some places are you can sometimes get a camp alone for less the the full rate Bakers has done that for me a few times.