Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maine Guide

Bat Houses

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Anybody put them up around your house? Now that I've dropped a ton of trees around my house, I can look up into the sky and watch them flutter about. And I want to reduce as many mosquitos as I can. Like to know what results you all have had. Thanks!

You want to paint them dark,seal all gaps, and place them where the sunrise can hit them.Their better off on a post or building as opposed to a tree.Purple Martins murder mosquitos as well.

Edited by cheech

Go to batcon-dot-org. They got free plans there, if you want to build, rather than buy, your bat house. They also have tips on where to put the dang things: placement is evidently the most important part of it, even more important than the size or type of bat condo you put up. 

Bat houses are GREAT. Bats need all the help we can give them right now. I've been meaning to do a house for a while, and maybe this spring will be the year. 

I've installed them for some clients. Seems like the bats prefer NOT to use those houses but would rather hide up inside a folded deck umbrella. Seen it a few times.

I used to see dozens of bats flying around the lake i fish in the summertime,had some real close encounters at dusk/night with them dive-bombing insects! In the past few years,im lucky to see 1 or 2 now.

I read it was due to a disease thats killing millions of bats across the U.S.and spreading every year called "white-nose syndrome",some type of virus introduced to the states recently..sad to see and i hope they can combat it somehow soon. 

I read it was due to a disease thats killing millions of bats across the U.S.and spreading every year called "white-nose syndrome",some type of virus introduced to the states recently..sad to see and i hope they can combat it somehow soon. 

Yep, white nose is killing bats by the millions. Even worse, some scientists fear that bats may be the canaries in the coal mine in terms of climate change. Whatever the deal, they need all the help they can get. Bat houses rule. :th:

I have one that I need to reinstall.........any tips on which side it should face? I had it facing south and I think it might have been too much direct sunlight. Also, what height are you hanging yours?

Believe it or not, like almost everything else nowadays, there's a forum for that!  Bathouseforum  (dot) org.  I was googling around when I had some bats (still have 'em, but thankfully moved out of the house).  Seems like the best is HOT, so, south facing, chimneys work great, etc.  Must be why they liked my shingles.

I live in North Eastern NJ and have been in my house for 5 years. 3 years ago we discovered that a group of bats were living between part of our siding where it ran along the roof line and overlaped the horizontal siding.

At first we were a little freaked out... Thinking they were living in our attic. But after checking out the attic we realized they were not in the house.

They've come back every spring since we first noticed them. Who knows how long they were there before we even noticed. It's always pretty cool going out at dusk in the summer and seeing them fly out. Reminds me of paratroopers jumping from a plane.

Bat houses should be at least 10-12 feet high. Any lower and bats won't use them.

And never on a tree trunk. Too exposed to snakes, squirrels, raccoons, etc. south side of a building or a metal pole are best. I did four of them two years ago. One was occupied for the first time last spring. Check them regularly for wasp nests and flying squirrels.