Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maine Guide

Any bee keepers in here?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

just ordered my 1st bees. they'll be here in may. finally pulled the trigger after waiting 3 years. took a class last year. basicly you get the bees, leave all the honey for them the 1st year, so they can make it through the winter. hopefully they like your setup and where you put it, and they don't fly away (swarm) in the middle of the summer. 2 people I know had this happen. someone else I know bees stayed around and got about 30 pounds of honey the second year. sweet to say the least. now ill have chickens, ducks and hopefully bees.

Thanks SMT. I was wondering if I could simply put out a hive and they would eventually find their way to it and colonize? I don't want any honey at this point. I just have a bunch of fruit trees and I want to ensure they pollinate. Is that a possibility or do I have no chance of attracting a "swarm" naturally?

some people actually do collect wild bees.to add to there own hives. you have to find the hive, cut it down, put it in a box and bring it home. sound s kind of simple but... im going with the buy them method 1st. but if you were to google catching your own bees I bet you will find ways to do it. good luck.

You probably have to buy a queen to get started. We have 2 hives of Italian bees and got 44 jars last season, my first. Overwintering bees like rock candy and thyme.

I took a class in 1998 but got talked out of it as the bees were suffering some new disease. 

I took the class with my son a couple years ago but again we decided to wait with the colony collapse issues still a problem.

I really wan to get started but too many things keep getting in the way. 

My uncle's girlfriend is into beekeeping down in Virginia.  She's had a heck of a time with the colony collapse issue each year.  Not sure if it's the disease or something else.  It's usually a sore subject so I don't bring it up any more!

I was painting a house and the owner said don't go over near the bee's. later I see her going over with the smoker and she has head gear on. She is wearing these tight leotards. I had to laugh, the bee's bit her and butt and thighs. Was very funny.

a neighbor across the street got into it. now my hummingbird feeders are usually covered in bees. they are everywhere - any way to keep them away? i like bees and all but i really like hummingbirds.

Maine Guide,

I kept bees for quite a few years.  The chances of you getting real honey bees to move into an empty hive are pretty remote.  In the past, I was able to grab a swarm, and place them in an empty hive, and it worked out.  But when honey bees swarm, then don't necessarily look for a hive. They often go right for the nearest tree, light pole, house and try to set up shop there.

You can buy Italian honey bees and a queen through the mail, and set the hive up yourself, but if you're not interested in the honey or dealing with the process, it's probably not worth your while.

I really enjoyed it. It was very fulfilling.

The collapse of our bees is the most urgent environmental 'green' disaster that no one is talking about. The more we ALL get into beekeeping, and planting bee friendly plants the better chance they will have.

The collapse of our bees is the most urgent environmental 'green' disaster that no one is talking about. The more we ALL get into beekeeping, and planting bee friendly plants the better chance they will have.

That's why I got out of bee keeping. :(

I really enjoyed it, and the honey was so cool. Often over a hundred pounds. But it got to the point we could no longer winter over hives. The experts at the time were blaming everything from varroa to foul brood. I was always treating my hives with menthol, but that helped little if at all.