Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hanlon-surf

Lures in your carry-on

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

On the way to the west coast of Fla for the weekend and will have the chance to get some gulf coast surf fishing in. My brother has a few rods, I'm taking my 440ssg and V5500 so good to go there. But what about lures? Can I carry them on the plane??? I'm not and will not check any bags so that's out. I can get stuff at a local b&t, but if I don't have to spend the $$$ I won't ya know

Your sol they won't let it on the plane and fishing line is banned as far as i know on most carriers . I would Fedex it to your brotheres place . There is another thread about carry on rods that pretty much covers what your asking incase no one else answers this one 

Reels are fine in the carry-on luggage. The rules are a bit vague regarding lures though, particularly in regards to hook size. The restriction is for "deep sea" hooks. I suppose it depends on what the airline considers "deep sea". Small flies and lures are acceptable. I've travelled four times this year with reels in my carry-on, and once was international. No problems at all.

Big risk. The average tsa employee will look at all those hooks and tell you to get rid of them. Costly. Either ship them to your destination or leave them behind. Suppose you could also de-hook all plugs and order some hooks online but have them shipped to your brother's place and spend a couple hours adding hooks. You don't want to chance that the local bait and tackle shop has no vmc 4X hooks. They are very bait -intensive down there. Plugs from the surf is not the norm.

I traveled for a fishing trip in Mexico and flew with some big rock cod jigs. No issues on JetBlue, but that was about 5 years ago I think

Your sol they won't let it on the plane and fishing line is banned as far as i know on most carriers . I would Fedex it to your brotheres place . There is another thread about carry on rods that pretty much covers what your asking incase no one else answers this one 

Never had an issue with fishing line in 15 years.

What airport or airline has given you trouble?

hanlon, South West and United have always been good to me about fishing gear, but when it comes to hooks, that is a no go. You are smart to ship the lures if you are not checking anything.

Never had a problem with a reel in my carry-on. Never tried hooks. Got stopped once with a lip-grip at the airport. Security wanted to know what it was. Since I couldnt speak spanish, I had to play charades with them acting like I was catching a fish and then using this thing to grab/weigh it. All at once a light went on with one of the sercurity guards and he started laughing and shouting "Oh, pesca, pesca!"

Never had an issue with fishing line in 15 years.

What airport or airline has given you trouble?

I heard it from a Tackle shop owner so i wasn't taking any chances . Carried the reel and checked bagged the spool . A lot easier on the pocket book getting a new spool . The last thing you want is $40 worth of braid your stripping by hand into a Trash Can 

I heard it from a Tackle shop owner so i wasn't taking any chances . Carried the reel and checked bagged the spool . A lot easier on the pocket book getting a new spool . The last thing you want is $40 worth of braid your stripping by hand into a Trash Can 

Agreed, I just like knowing which airports have done this to anglers.

I don't get what you couldo possibly do with string that would be considered dangerous?

I think it's not far away when we have to strip down and get in tyvek suits for air travel.

They wouldn't let me into Universal Studios Land with a Swiss army knife.

Either way, I'll be carrying my Spinfishers freshly spooled with 20# braid along with a spool of leader. Some basic bait rig supplies and a few small metals are being sent. I'll buy led down there. He is less than 3 miles from a BP. Never fished the gulf before,excited to try it out

again, thanks all

Biggest issue is from TSA not airlines regarding reels and lures, just gotta get thru the TSA...

i have put reels w lines and the new "mag sealed" reels into carry on luggage with no issues from TSA nor airlines to & from Chicago (ORD) to New York (LGA)/New Jersey(EWR) even during the holiday seasons for many years now.

I have carried on many lures w hooks n hook protectors on small plano boxes and "loose" in a large zipbag with no big issues w TSA multiple times.

There was only one time i had a small plano box of bucktails up to 5oz w 8/0 hooks w hook protectors that the TSA pull me aside to further inspect... that was at a budget airline terminal; they were pretty young aged n new TSA male and female, inspected my plano box of bucktails, looked at their guideline books n finally the supervisor came by n inspected. Supervisor said" Fishing Eh? Fluke eh? Tightlines" and I was on my merry way...

You can play it safe have the hooks removed, or try putting hooks protectors on each hook even the trebles n rubberband to tied the hooks together.

What ever you decide to do, give yourself plenty of time esp w TSA

Again it seems TSA security has the final say...

YMMV