Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
will_fish_4_food

Advice on Trevala rod weight

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody, long time lurker here who could use some advice on my next gear fix. Im narrowed it down to a left hand Avet sx mc 5.3 paired with a Trevala rod, which I'm going to use for jigging and as an all around boat rod. I generally fish the mouth of the Patuxent on the Chesapeake Bay for Blues and Stripers.

What I'm not yet sure about is the rod weight.The nice guys over at JandH tackle recommended Medium Heavy. While there is definitely potential for some cows in the Spring and Fall, I'm wondering if a medium would be better in order to keep it a bit sporty for the smaller to medium sized fish, while having enough backbone to handle bigger stripers and blues.

Im new to jigging so dont know that much about it, but i definitely plan to use it to jig the 100 foot hole at the mouth of the Patuxent. From what i've learned so far (not much) I'm guessing that will be 2-5 oz jigs. I figured i could also use it for chunking, live-lining spot, and throwing some lures that are too heavy for the light spinning rig i usually cast with.

Any thoughts or recommendations highly appreciated!  

Thanks for the info. I was worried the MH would take all the fun out of it as i've read on here about guys cranking in the 40 inchers on Avet/Trevala MH combos like they were schoolies. 

@Scoobydoo i've spent far too much time in the last months staring at your Avatar!

Thanks for the info. I was worried the MH would take all the fun out of it as i've read on here about guys cranking in the 40 inchers on Avet/Trevala MH combos like they were schoolies. 

@Scoobydoo i've spent far too much time in the last months staring at your Avatar!

You can pull real hard on the 6'6 mh....but it has some flex

I moved from the trevalas to the tallus and teramar ne for allaround boat bass sticks and actually like them a bit more.

FWIW....The 7' heavy tallus is a great chunking stick for bigger fish and  the 7'6 1-6 teramar is  just a great rod to do everything with in our waters

I landed a 70# AJ on the 6ft H. I doubt there's a bass that can overpower the MH. I'd be more concerned at matching the rod to the jig being worked.

I landed a 70# AJ on the 6ft H. I doubt there's a bass that can overpower the MH. I'd be more concerned at matching the rod to the jig being worked.

Thats a good point, although i dont have much to base a judgement on since i've never done proper jigging before. I see the MH Trevala is rated for jigs from  110-200 grams (4-7 oz) while the medium is rated  75-200 grams (2.6 -7 oz). A minimum weight of 4 oz seems kind of heavy to me, anyone else think so? Those ratings also seem more specific to jigging than casting the lures. Does a medium make more sense as a boat rod when casting lighter 1.5-3 oz lures? Or are those guidelines completely out the window when you're talking about casting as opposed to jigging?

the 7'6 1-6 teramar is  just a great rod to do everything with in our waters

Damnit now I'm surfing all over for info on those too :p Are they a lot heavier (by weight) than the Trevalas? Cant find the listed weight on shimano site... Thanks for the input 

I have the 6'6" MH, it's definitely not too heavy to take the fun out of smaller fish.  I've used it bottom fishing for fluke, porgies, and tautog.  If anything I'd say it's too light for big bass, but it certainly can handle them.  The rod handles 2-5oz well, 8oz is pretty much maxed out.  Three waying live bunker is a bit much for the rod, but smaller baits will be perfect.

Agreed with above posters...the 6'6"mh is definitely not too much rod for bass. Shimano is extremely generous when they rate their trevalas. It's not built like the typical NE bass/blues rod-- tons of flex. The most I'd jig on it would be 7oz or so.

Have a spinning version that I've used paired with a Penn torque 5, and it was a blast for bass/blues on the diamond jig. Definitely not over-gunned, and this was in 50-60ft of water with 5oz Diamond jigs.

I've been using an SX on a Trevala 6'6" MH for several years.  It is one of my favorite setups for stipers and blues, and is very versatile, with lots of power and light enough to still be fun with smaller fish.  If I could have only one setup, it would probably be this one.  You've probably already concluded that the Trevala is a great value, and you're right :->.

Mike

FWIW, my brother in law, using my MH 6'6 with an avet SX beat the wrath of a 50# bass on his first salt water trip with me. Yeah, they are great rods!