Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David Policansky

custom rod builder

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I just bought a G Loomis SUR 1264 blank--it's amazing--and I'd like to find a good rod builder in my area (Washington DC) to turn it into a rod. I'd be most grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

David

David,

I don't have first hand experience with local rod builders since I started to wrap my own a while back, but, you might contact Albert Bridgewater at abridgew@bellatlantic.net for the name of his flyrod builder. Although it's not really in this neighborhood, I've heard good things about Wanye at Wayne's Custom Tackle in VA Beach. I believe he does most of custom work for Tres Irby at Hatteras Outfitters. Wayne's number is 757-481-4107. Perhaps JohnM could give you more info on Wayne's work. You could also try the rod builder's guild should have a web-based database of builders. Good luck, David.

I have 3 rods that Wayne wrapped up for me. Tres did the lay outs and Wayne built them. Wayne is an amazing builder, very talented. My wrapps were simple but the stuff I saw in his shop when I picked them up was amazing......Give Tres a call he will hook you up with what you need......

http://www.****.com/

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

I just built my own rod and it was easy, I recamend you doing the same. I had the same thing priced at a local guy that does custom rods and he prices it at over 350$. I only spen 150$ and this includes every thing you need to build your own rod.

The blank is a 7.5 live bait Lami. I paid 65 bucks for it from a place called Clemensrodbuilding.com Lamiglas.com wants 140 for the same blank. If you want to do this, email me for more info and help. Building your own rod is a lotta fun.

DMan: Thanks. Can't find your email address, though. I have built my own rods, and I do enjoy it, but this is a period with only a little free time and I want to use that little for fishing. But if it's going to cost a couple hundred dollars, then I'll do it myself.

David

David, if you already own the blank, it certainly should not cost you anything like a couple hundred dollars. That's a fine, pricey blank and a well built surf rod is a bit of a specialty; I'd be anxious about turning that one over to someone whose work you were not real familiar with or who did not at least come very highly recommened. Many coastal area shops do rodbuilding and know their way around good surf equipment. Why not take the blank along on your next run to whatever shore areas you fish and check out some possibilties; you could probably leave it there and have a finished rod on your next trip back. Old Inlet B&T, just north of IRI on the Delaware shore has done some very nice work over the years. Ocean Pro - about 54 miles north of Lewes (more info on the "Rod Wrapping Referals" thread down below) is hard to beat for price and quality and well worth the drive.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 06-06-2000).]

Bill: Thanks for your good thoughts. I usually fish the surf on Nantucket, and I know two builders there. One is very good but sets his prices high enough ($300) that most of us won't ask him to do the work; the other is unreliable; I left him a rod to rebuild last September and it was still sitting in the corner of his shop this May, so I took it back. Unfortunately, Loomis makes a finished rod only as a spinning rod (I own one), not as a casting rod, and won't make one for me, although they do make casting rods on other blanks.

But the places you mention might well be worth a trip, it's a nice place to go whatever the fishing is like; thanks again.

David