CaryGreene

Floating, Intermediate & Density Compensated Coldwater Fly Line Review (Sci Ang, Rio, Airflo, Orvis, Cortland

Rate this topic

232 posts in this topic

44 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

WOW. I feel pity for the customer. And since we are all customers, I pity us all. 

Then, you test cast the line, at various distances, with the rod you are lining. As you point out, there is just no substitute for feel as that is the final deciding factor  that determines what is suitable and what isn't.

Unfortunately, this is the best advice we can give our readers.

I agree Cary, but the people I sympathise with the most are the beginners amongst us. They simply cannot be expected to know what "feels right". These poor buggers often have trouble casting even the shortest distances, let alone a 60' or 70' cast. If the caster can't make a good loop at any distance, they are doomed to the zone between equipment not performing and caster unable to perform (both "as advertised" ... :) ) How on earth can they make an informed decision even if supplied with load charts, grain weights, line profiles and species information?

I guess that's where forums like this can be of assistance, filling up the information gap that equipment makers/marketers are creating.

Cheers,

Graeme

yarddog59 likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hirdy indeed and then the poor Sod has to work out what’s good on a forum and what is total bollocks.

In the olden days when I were a Nipper I seem to recall that the help and advice you used to get from most tackle shops was pretty good.

Are today’s begginers on line crazy and avid readers of interminable tackle reviews . I suspect that many are so no wonder they are confused.

The reality is that it really should not be difficult to match a line to a rod especially if line makers did not play ducks and drakes and the same applies to rod makers who are often plain hopeless with their rod ratings.

If you make it hard  and complex to even enter a sport then glory be you lose sales. Did anyone ever tell this to the marketing departments. Well if they did I doubt they would have listened.

The evidence surrounds us.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

I'm using the SA Anadro floaters now after reading Cary's review. Excellent lines that cast short and long, perfect for the fishing I do here and the Cape. 

I've been trying the new Rio Coastal XP line that replaces their Outbound Short. I can't tell much if any difference in the head and the grain weights seem the same. But the running line is definitely stiffer and coils more, even in late season water temps. Not sure how this will behave in early season water temps.

Edited by JRT

The Anadro is definitely a good floating line for many applications, that's what I thought after the first full season using it. Feel that way & even more so a's the second full season is winding down.

I personally worked the Anadro very hard this Spring & it was just stellar. Not a Single issue. Casts really smoothly & easily. Running line doesn't tangle at all. Lays out like a rope at most distances. Easy to handle. Durable. Very good floating line for me from New England, NJ & on down to the Carolinas. 

Interesting to hear your feedback on them JRT & your experience with the Rio Coastal XP also.

Two of my buddies are fishing the Rio''s this fall & both are telling me the same thing regarding the running line coiling. One is fishing it out of CT & the other at Harkers Island & up as far as NJ.

We tried gently stretching them right before a big day fishing Gurglers, slender hard-body Myrex Poppers & Crease Fly Sliders chasing bird squalls Sunday , didn't help much.

I was using an Airflo Coldwater Floating Line & was experiencing Nirvana & my buddy was cursing a lot. 

Received three reports from dealers that customers are saying the same thing. Based on pictures they sent me, some of these customers are using small arbor reels & had stored the line on the reel for weeks/months. 

I saw a couple of we'll used Coastal XP lines & they were wound on the reels very tightly, which is always tough on running line.

JRT, do you have the Coastals on Small/Mid Arbor reels and or, how tightly are they wound? 

Do you feel the line is properly stretched & still coiling more than it should?

The finer the diameter of a running line, the more of an issue potentially exists. Jacket hardness & Core will also influence Line Twist.

Remember Braided Mono Running g Lines back in the 80's?  .031 Diameter typically (relatively beefy) & horrendously bad memory. Still, we thought they were great back then. 

I'd be interested to also hear from other posters on the topic of running line coiling issues - General Thoughts & also - particular lines that don't coil much at all or- the reverse - lines like the Rio Coastal that coil badly even though they are properly stored, stretched & rinsed/cleaned.

Also, how satisfied are we with line performance from all manufacturer we've used? Maybe Rate Each Manufacturer 0 -5 & touch on lines you like or lines you despise. Let's air it out, Winter is coming.

I recently put a new Rio Coastal XP on my Loomis 10 weight and 1011 SA System 2 reel. I'll report back shortly as the temps here in NJ have dipped.

Edited by yarddog59

"JRT, do you have the Coastals on Small/Mid Arbor reels and or, how tightly are they wound? "

On a 4" diameter Danielsson reel so more large arbor than mid arbor. I have tried stretching the running line a bit. Probably need to a bit more. Luckily I have a couple of old OBS lines I can fall back on if I get fed up with the Coastal.  But it does wind me up that these manufacturers obviously don't test their lines in real-world fishing scenarios.

11 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

I'd be interested to also hear from other posters on the topic of running line coiling issues - General Thoughts & also - particular lines that don't coil much at all or- the reverse - lines like the Rio Coastal that coil badly even though they are properly stored, stretched & rinsed/cleaned.

Also, how satisfied are we with line performance from all manufacturer we've used? Maybe Rate Each Manufacturer 0 -5 & touch on lines you like or lines you despise. Let's air it out, Winter is coming.

Over time you do develop impressions, maybe biases(?), of certain companies, I know I have. I’ll sometimes go back to a company I previously wrote off just to see if things have changed. Here are a couple of my completely nonscientific, anecdotal impressions by maker…

Cortland

Cortland 333 Intermediate: This has existed in one form or another for a really long time. My memory has not been great lately but I think I first got it in the late 80s. It is the blue intermediate line. I still use this line, just got another one a few weeks ago. It’s more of a “standard” longer head line and as an old geezer I find it makes a beautiful cast for me. Until recently I always used the line weight that matched the rod I had, but I am finding that the more modern rods want me to overline by one weight. I’m sure that’s a deficiency in my casting, but I is what I is at this point. This line tangles very little in my experience, one of my favorites. 0-5 Rating for me is a 5

Cortland Big Game intermediate: This is the cream colored one, not the clear. I believe it has a braided core. I use an 8 weight with my 8 weight rod and it is a perfect match. It sinks more slowly than some. Again, I have very little tangling/coiling with this line. I think this also has a longer head which fits my casting well. 0-5 Rating for me is a 4

Orvis: Have tried them over the years to see if they improve, and for me they haven't...

Orvis Sly Line: One of the first clear fly lines, mono core. I got this right when it came out, late 80s I want to say. I was living/fishing in Maine so the water was cold and this thing tangled like the dickens. That’s why I only kept it for 20 years lol. Pain that it was I caught a lot of fish on it. Like most lines of the era I matched the line to stated rod weight (#9 on a Fisher blank). But yeah this line tangled a lot 0-5 Rating 3

Orvis Wonderline: Amber colored intermediate. Tangled awfully all the time. I used it to tie up newspapers for recycling day after a few weeks… 0-5 rating 0

Orvis Hydros HD Depth Charge: Got it this year, I figured I’d give them another chance. When it doesn’t tangle, which for me was almost never, it cast like crazy, but man did it tangle. I used it on a large arbor reel, wound loose. Went through gyrations removing twist. Tried it in a stripping basket, off the beach off the deck of a boat and in all cases all I got was a mouthful of very bad language. I’ll be cutting off the running line and replacing with braided mono for next year. 0-5 Rating 1

Scientific Anglers

SA Mastery Floating: A yellowish generic floating line I got maybe 5 or 6 years ago for a trip to the Bahamas. It’s not a tropical line but it did very well for me. At home it’s my LMB line. Floats well, long head, casts well on a matched rod and for me it never coils or tangles. Like the Cortlands, not a really sexy line but a reliable workhorse that never disappoints. 0-5 Rating: 5

SA Sonar Sink Tip: Tri color line; chartreuse running line to a white handling line to a light grey head. I think it’s a type IV. I like how this line handles for me, the sink rate seems perfect for a lot of places I fish. The running line gave me fits, lots of coiling and twist which could be from roll casting at the end of retrieves. I cut off the chartreuse running line and replaced with Airflo miracle braid and this became my go-to rig this season. 8 weight was perfect on my 8 weight rod (built from a Ye Olde English Fly Shop blank). I switched the airflo for a gudebrod braided mono line late season as the former got worn out but I think in this configuration it’s a keeper. 0-5 Rating: with factory running line a 3, with braided mono replacement a 4

RIO

RIO General Purpose: Intermediate sink tip (clear) with a floating, olive colored running line. I matched an 8 to an 8 weight rod of uncertain lineage that I keep down in Charleston SC for when I visit my daughter. I don’t know, this is a god awful line for me. I struggle to create any kind of decent loop with this line, It doesn’t tangle or anything it just feels terrible. For me this has probably been the worst line I’ve ever used. I’m going to bring it home and try it on my 7 weight to see if maybe that’s better but I’m not optimistic. 0-5 Rating: 0

Rio In Touch Striper Intermediate. If someone is visiting and wants to borrow a rig I have this on an old Chinese reel and that’s what they get. 8 line casts fine on an 8 rod for me, but this line has been a bear wrt tangles/coils. It’s the one with the glow in the dark running line, which would probably be awesome for night fishing after eating magic mushrooms but other than that I don’t get it. 0-5 Rating: 3 because I gave up shrooms.

Rio Mainstream Intermediate: The cheapest of their lines and for me the best. First it’s 80’ so I feel like a hero casting the whole line all the time. The 9 weight casts pretty well on my 9 rods and really well on my 8 weight. It tangled/coiled much less than the other RIO lines. I wore it out dragging over mussel bars for a few years but for the price I think this one is a gem. 0--5 Rating: 4

WULFF

Wulff TT Intermediate: the aqua colored standard intermediate has been a great line for me. I match the line weight exactly to the rod and it’s been a no-fuss deal. I’ve had 2 of these, ultimately both got trashed in the rocks but I would definitely get another one. 0-5 Rating: 4

Wulff Bermuda Triangle: I have these in both the 2 tone floating and Lost Tip configurations, both 9 weight that I throw on 9 weight rods. I only got a month or so on these lines this year but I really like them a lot. Despite the name I’m fishing them in NH and Maine with no coiling issues, though I would love to get them down in the tropics. Compared to my Cortland 333 and SA Mastery they want a little faster casting stroke so I’m adjusting a little there, but have been really good casting into a headwind, mostly with #1 and 1/0 flies. 0-5 Rating: Limited time but might well be a 5

crunch, Tin Boat, Hirdy and 1 other like this