Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

Skid-plates & preventing corrosion?

16 posts in this topic

Hey folks.

Picking up a ’11 SR5. As some here pointed out it has a skid plate under the engine but not tranny. I was planning on instaling one below the tranny but then considered the issue of fighting corrosion.

I’m going to have the vehicle treated to remove & stop current surface rust and coated to protect from future rust. I also wash my vehicles including the under-carrage after each beach trip.

That being said, how might skid plates factor into the battle against sand, salt & corrosion?

Would it help protect the undercarrage by acting as a barrier to sand & salt... or would it put the vehicle more at risk because it’s also a barrier to washing the undercarrage?

Your thoughts?

JD

Congrats on the new buggy, good choice. Skid plates won't matter as far as corrosion is concerned, fresh water rinses are most effective. The truck is already 5 years old, rustproofing at this time is almost useless, your throwing good money away, the corrosion will find the smallest crevices that even rustproofing can't get to and if it did, it would just be trapping the corrosive energies that are already doing harm.

Treat it right and you'll get 10 years out of it.

All I do is sand or wire brush questionable areas. Hit them w an air nozzle. And paint any exposed metal w rattle can paint. Is it the best option? No. Does it do the trick?? For the $$ invested, you bet. My theory is any surface with a good coat of paint will not corrode. Rust is going to get places that you can never reach or even see. Just do your best to protect what you can reach and wash regularly. A little fresh water goes a long way..

Skids are great if you have rocky areas or drift wood with nails sticking out of them but they trap sand in them like a shovel. On both our Jeeps I find a bunch of sand in the front skid on the 07 and in the transfer skid on the 98. Gotta flush it out. The other issue with skids is that sand gets in the threads of the bolts that hold on the skids so you have to be careful removing them.

Thanks Lou.

That's what I was thinking about it holding sand. Also worry that it'll divert water & or block the undercarriage from getting washed. I generally run the buggy through a local car wash that has a pretty good undercarriage wash. Clearly I'm gonna need to do more than that.

Yes I like the idea of skid plates for protection against drift wood and random debris particulaly after a storm . Also rocks etc on the trail. EspecIally at night.

Good suggestions & food for thought.

JD

Learn how to do it yourself, it ain't rocket science. Just be careful and wear a respirator. I have to paint the lower unit and transom mount with anti fouling paint on my old I/O boat every year and I wear a tyvec suit, 3M respirator and gloves/goggles. The boat yards don't do it right so I do that myself. I will not do the bottom paint though. Not lying under there sanding bottom paint!

post-59646-0-39155100-1452008334_thumb.jpg

Get yourself one of those old style lawn sprinklers and run it under you buggy after every trip.

I get under the truck on a creeper with a power washer and one of those spiraling nozzles after every trip with the camper. If I'm just fishing after work night after night I will get it on a Saturday. The nozzle will knock rust, sand, and salt off and out of crevices, skid plates and the like. I just don't blast behind any seals. With the pressure behind a lawn sprinkler it will just make a sand slurry in those out of the way places. You need some pressure to lift the stuff off.

Learn how to do it yourself, it ain't rocket science. Just be careful and wear a respirator. I have to paint the lower unit and transom mount with anti fouling paint on my old I/O boat every year and I wear a tyvec suit, 3M respirator and gloves/goggles. The boat yards don't do it right so I do that myself. I will not do the bottom paint though. Not lying under there sanding bottom paint!

I haven't sanded bottom paint in twenty years. I just use those Barbeque nylon scrubbers and a bucket of water to rough up and dislodge the flakes while it is wet (no dust). Hose it down, dry, paint done.